Taking the popular ingredients in a California Roll but serving them as a Sushi Bowl, is so much easier yet tastes just as wonderful! Imitation crab, avocado, cucumber, and nori over a bed of sushi rice with a spicy mayo sauce.
What is a Sushi Bowl? A sushi bowl dish is exactly what it sounds like, deconstructed sushi roll served in a bowl with the classic ingredients a California roll has.
Making the bowl yourself not only saves so much money, but it also tastes just as great and you can customize your own bowl with the proportions.
|MEAL PLANNING: |
Sushi bowls are a great idea when meal planning. Portion all the ingredients out into your meal planning airtight container with a lid and keep in the fridge. You want to cut the avocado fresh as it will brown quickly.
How to Assemble a Sushi Bowl-
Assembling the sushi bowl is the fun part. This is where you can personalize your bowl. We are just going to divide and layer all of the ingredients into the bowl.
- Divide the rice between four bowls.
- Then top with prepared veggies, crab, and nori and drizzle with the Spicy Mayo.
- Garnish with green onion and sesame seed.
Variations and Substitutions-
- Protein: Substitute the imitation crab for sauteed shrimp, salmon (leftover salmon works great as well), sashimi, or even ahi tuna.
- Sauce: If you don’t like the spicy mayo, our Teriyaki Sauce would be a great substitute. For a lighter version, drizzle fresh squeezed lemon or lime or even olive oil instead of a sauce.
- Add-ins: Try different vegetables like sliced or julienned carrots, and radishes. Pickles ginger and sliced onion are all great additions that may be used.
- Vegan bowl: For a vegan sushi bowl, leave out the crab meat and mayo sauce.
You can easily make this deconstructed sushi bowl in advance, here’s how:
- Make rice up to one day in advance and keep covered and refrigerated.
- Make spicy mayo dressing up to one day in advance and just keep it in a separate container.
- The cucumber and crab may also be cut up to one day in advance.
- When ready to assemble the bowl, arrange everything bowls and enjoy.
More Bowl Recipes:
Sushi Bowl Recipe
- Cook rice according to package instruction. Remove from heat and add in the sugar and vinegar and carefully fold to combine.
- Make spicy mayo per instructions and set aside.
- Prep all of the topping and cut into desired pieces.
- Add rice to a bowl, cucumbers slices, avocado slices, green onion, nori, and drizzle with the spicy mayo.