This Bang Bang Shrimp recipe is our version of Bonefish’s popular appetizer! Crispy fried shrimp tossed in a homemade sweet and spicy sauce – pure perfection.
WHAT IS BANG BANG SHRIMP?
Bang Bang Shrimp is the most popular appetizer at Bonefish Grill restaurant. If you’ve not tried it – you truly are missing out! No worries, I’ll share everything you need to know about making this amazing copycat side dish at home for a fraction of the cost!
It truly is surprising the few ingredients needed for bang bang shrimp as the appetizer is so flavorful.
- Shrimp– Raw large or jumbo shrimp will work great.
- Marinade– We used milk, sour cream and lemon juice for the marinade.
- Cornstarch mixture– This is what gives the shrimp its crispiness. All that’s needed is flour, cornstarch, and seasoning.
- Bang bang shrimp sauce– This homemade sauce is what brings this shrimp recipe to a whole new level! We use mayo, chili sauce, garlic, and sriracha.
HOW TO MAKE BANG BANG SHRIMP-
The instructions are so simple for this fried shrimp recipe in the most delicious sauce.
- Make sauce– In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, chili sauce, garlic, and sriracha; set aside. (We use this garlic chili sauce, it’s amazing.)
- Prep shrimp– Peel, devein and remove the tail.
- Make marinate– In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade. You can substitute for buttermilk if that is what you have on hand.
- Cornstarch mixture– In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the cornstarch, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Coat shrimp– Add shrimp to the milk mixture, then completely coat on all sides in the cornstarch mixture. Place onto a platter and continue with the remaining shrimp.
- Fry the shrimp– Add about 1 to 1 ½” of cooking oil to a deep large skillet or Dutch oven. Once the oil is hot, add shrimp and fry until crispy. Cook in batches until all shrimp is fried. We like to transfer the shrimp onto a paper towel to catch any grease.
- Coat in sauce– Add the sauce to the shrimp and gently toss.
- Serve– Serve immediately. We like to add fresh green onion when serving.
Keep shrimp hot! If you will be working in batches, keep the cooked shrimp warm in the preheated oven to 375°F while frying the rest of the shrimp. Or, you can just cook the shrimp in two skillets.
BANG BANG SHRIMP SAUCE-
This sweet and spicy bang bang sauce for the fried shrimp is so easy to prepare and it totally transforms the fried shrimp.
- Combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, minced garlic, and sriracha. For a milder sauce, add 1 Tbsp of the chili sauce.
NOTE: If you don’t have Sriracha, Tabasco or Frank’s Hot sauce may be substituted.
There are so many different ways to serve bang bang shrimp, it’s such a versatile recipe.
- Appetizer– Enjoy as a starter or appetizer and serve overy shredded lettuce.
- Lettuce wrap– Add shrimps to lettuce leaves and enjoy as wraps.
- Tacos– Add to tortillas with your favorite toppings and enjoy them as tacos.
- Entree– Use in our Shrimp Bowl recipe.
HOW TO STORE-
- STORE– Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- REHEAT– Reheat in the oven until crispy and reheated.
- FREEZE– You can freeze the bang bang shrimp in a freezer bag. Thaw, reheat and make some more sauce to coat the shrimp.
I hope you give the recipe a try and it becomes a favorite!
More shrimp recipes-
Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe
- 1 lb large shrimp, deveined & peeled
- canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice
bang bang sauce-
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp sriracha
How to make bang bang sauce-
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, garlic and sriracha. Set aside.
How to make bang bang shrimp-
- Devein and remove tails on the shrimp. Pat shrimp completely dry.
- In one bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the milk mixture. In a second bowl, combine the ingredients for the flour mixture.
- Dredge shrimp in the milk mixture, then, generously coat in the flour mixture. Place onto a platter. Continue with remaining shrimp.
- In a large skillet, add about 1 – 1 1/2-inches of oill and heat over med/high heat. Once the oil is hot add shrimp, don't overcrowd skillet.
- In batches, fry the shrimp 2-3 minutes per side, until crispy and cooked through.
- Once all of the shrimp are cooked, pour the sauce over the shrimp and gently toss.