This Creamy Shrimp Scampi with Chicken Recipe is everything you can ask for in a dish! Chicken breast with shrimp in a creamy tomato wine scampi sauce (similar sauce as the popular Chicken Scampi). The recipe is the perfect dinner for any occasion, and it’s completely ready in just 30 minutes!
creamy shrimp scampi with chicken-
Chicken is our favorite and most often used protein. I like to give simple chicken recipes a twist so it’s not so bland. This chicken shrimp scampi recipe is the perfect example. Chicken breast combined with shrimp in the most delicious Cajun cream. The creamy tomato and wine-infused sauce adds so much flavor to the chicken and shrimp.
creamy tomato wine sauce-
This creamy tomato wine sauce is my favorite part of this scampi recipe. The tomatoes are cooked in the butter, onions and wine. Then, the cream, broth, seasonings and fresh basil to seal the deal on the sauce. This is the perfect wine sauce recipe. You’ll be using for many other recipes.
how to creamy chicken and shrimp in wine sauce-
This chicken and shrimp combination is perfect and so quick to make. Though it’s not fully baked like our chicken fajitas are, it is fully cooked on the stove-top which makes this one-pan dish so easy and quick to make.
- Prepare Chicken- Cut chicken breasts in half evenly lengthwise and season both sides and season both sides of the chicken.
- Cook Chicken- Sauté the chicken in a skillet until fully cooked, remove from skillet.
- Cook Shrimp- Season and saute the shrimp, remove from skillet.
- Prepare Sauce- Prepare the tomato wine scampi sauce.
- Combine- Return the chicken and shrimp back to the sauce and generously coat.
TIP: Devein and remove the tail of the shrimp. I didn’t in the images for photography purposes only!
what is shrimp scampi?
The most traditional way of serving shrimp scampi is with garlic butter and white wine sauce – think Red Lobster or Olive Garden!.
Though this recipe isn’t quite a shrimp scampi recipe as it has the added heavy whipping cream, something about it still makes it feel like copycat recipes. The added cayenne pepper adds a Cajun taste to it and it’s is so good!
what can I serve chicken & shrimp with?
Since the chicken and shrimp are in a creamy sauce, you can really serve it with anything. You can serve the dish with mashed potatoes (our favorite), rice or buttered pasta and drizzle the extra cream over everything.
what kind of wine can I use?
You want to use a dry white wine (meaning unsweet). Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Blanc or Chardonnay are all great choices (I used an inexpensive Chardonnay in this recipe with great results).
can I substitute for chicken tenders?
Chicken tenderloins are a WONDERFUL substitute for the breast. Cooking time will be slightly less, depending on the size of the pieces.
This chicken and shrimp combination smothered in a Cajun-inspired tomato wine sauce is so much better than any restaurant recipe for a fraction of the price.
OTHER POPULAR CHICKEN DISHES:
- Ham & Cheese Stuffed Chicken– the sauce is WOW!
- Vegetable Chicken Stir Fry– love the added vegetable.
- Chicken Stroganoff– the easiest recipe for busy dinners.
- Easy Chicken Stir Fry– in the most delicious sauce!
Creamy Chicken Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 ½ tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white dry wine
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Cut both chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Beat chicken until even in thickness.
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste. In a large skillet, over med/high heat, add oil. Once hot, sauté chicken until fully cooked and browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter and shrimp to the same skillet. Cook until shrimp is pink and opaque, flip once. Add to the chicken.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onions with 2 Tbsp butter for about 3 minutes, stirring as needed until onions are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, minced garlic, wine and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, heavy whipping cream, half and half and the seasonings. Stir and simmer 2-3 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Return the chicken and shrimp back to the skillet. Cook until chicken and shrimp are reheated.
- Enjoy with your favorite side.