This Creamy Chicken Shrimp Scampi Recipe is everything you can ask for in a dish! Chicken breast with shrimp in a creamy tomato wine scampi sauce (similar sauce as the Chicken Scampi). The recipe is the perfect dinner for any occasion, it’s INCREDIBLE and ready in 30 minutes!
chicken shrimp scampi recipe-
Chicken is our favorite and most often used protein. I like to give simple chicken recipes a twist to make it feel special and not so boring. This chicken shrimp scampi recipe is the perfect example. Taking plain chicken breast, adding shrimp and a delicious Cajun cream makes the simple dish a crowd pleaser. It’s so appealing and appetizing and completely ready in 30 minutes.
creamy tomato wine sauce-
I must say, the creamy tomato wine sauce is my favorite part of this recipe. The tomatoes are cooked in butter, onions and wine. They become infused with so much flavor. Then, add the cream, broth, seasonings and fresh basil to seal the deal. This is the perfect wine sauce!
how to make chicken and shrimp scampi recipe-
This chicken and shrimp combination is perfect and so quick to make. Though it’s not fully baked like our chicken fajitas are, it is fully cooked on the stove top which makes this one pan dish so easy and quick to make.
- Cut chicken breasts in half evenly lengthwise.
- Season the chicken and sauté in skillet until fully cooked, remove from skillet.
- Season and saute the shrimp, remove from skillet.
- Prepare the creamy Cajun tomato wine scampi sauce.
- Return the chicken and shrimp back to the sauce. Simmer.
how to make shrimp scampi?
The most traditional way of serving shrimp scampi is with garlic butter and white wine sauce. Think Red Lobster or Olive Garden!. Though this recipe isn’t quite a shrimp scampi recipe as it has the added heavy whipping cream, something about it still makes it feel like a shrimp scampi dish. The added cayenne pepper adds a Cajun taste to it and it’s is so good!
TIP: Devein and remove tail on shrimp. I didn’t in the images for photography purposes, haha :)!
What can I serve chicken & shrimp with?
Since the chicken and shrimp are in a creamy sauce, you can really serve it with anything. You can serve the dish with mashed potatoes (our favorite), rice or buttered pasta and drizzle the extra cream over everything. SO GOOD!.
What kind of wine can I use?
You want to use a dry white wine (meaning unsweet). Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Blanc or Chardonnay are all great choices (I used an inexpensive Chardonnay in this recipe).
Can I substitute for chicken tenders?
Chicken tenderloins are a WONDERFUL substitute for the breast. Cooking time will be slightly less.
Once you give this chicken and shrimp smothered in a Cajun wine sauce recipe a try, you’ll be hooked!
Enjoy these other CHICKEN recipes:
- Ham & Cheese Stuffed Chicken– the sauce is WOW!
- Vegetable Chicken Stir Fry– love the added vegetable.
- Chicken Stroganoff– the easiest recipe for busy dinners.
- Easy Chicken Stir Fry– in the most delicious sauce!
Creamy Chicken Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
- 1 ½ tsp oil (olive oil or canola)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ lb. raw shrimp
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white dry wine
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ tsp. ground paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground pepper
- Cut both chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Beat chicken until about ¼” in thickness.
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste. In a large skillet on med/high heat, add oil, once hot, add the chicken. Sauté chicken until fully cooked and browned, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, add 1 Tbsp butter and shrimp to skillet. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until shrimp is cooked. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onions with 2 Tbsp butter for about 3 minutes, stirring as needed until onions are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, minced garlic, wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, heavy whipping cream, half and half and the seasonings. Stir and simmer 2-3 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add in the chicken and shrimp back to pan. Cook until chicken and shrimp are reheated.
- Enjoy with your favorite side.