This Creamy Chicken Casserole Recipe with bacon, mushrooms, and cheese is a really, really great idea! Chicken in a cream of chicken soup sauce. The chicken becomes so tender and melts in your mouth. Serve casserole with a side of creamy mashed potatoes!
Oven Baked Creamy Chicken Casserole-
Amazing oven baked chicken casserole recipe! The chicken is marinated, then breaded and sauteed giving the chicken a crispy finish. The chicken is then baked in a creamy chicken sauce. Sauteed mushrooms and bacon top the casserole dish and then the entire casserole is loaded with grated cheese.
This chicken casserole recipe is absolutely amazing. Once baked, the chicken is so tender and flavorful and the sauce adds so much flavor to the dish.
What can I serve with the Chicken Breast Casserole with?
- Our favorite side for this easy casserole would have to be mashed potatoes. The casserole has the cream of chicken sauce that is served as gravy over the mashed potatoes. It’s amazing!
- If you don’t like mashed potatoes, rice or pasta of choice may also be used. Pour the sauce from the chicken over the pasta or rice as gravy – so good!
NOTE: If you have picky eaters, you can skip the mushrooms or leave it on half of the casserole. My kids are not fans of mushrooms (no idea how they aren’t) so, I just load one side of the casserole with extra mushrooms for the Mr. and I, leaving the other half without mushrooms. (No complaints here).
Can I substitute the toppings?
The bacon and mushrooms and NOT a must for this recipe. If we make this on a weekday, I rarely add the bacon. We usually do bacon and mushrooms for special occasions. Just add extra cheese if you’re a cheese lover.
Chicken Casserole for Parties-
This easy creamy chicken casserole dish is always a huge hit at our large family gatherings. We have this casserole at most of our family gatherings and parties. It’s so nice that you can prepare everything the night before and just bake it the day of the party.
What size Do I cut the Chicken?
The chicken breast can be cut into 1″-2″ pieces. The chicken may also be cut into thin tenderloins or precut tenderloins may be purchased (chicken tenders).
Can I freeze Chicken Casserole?
- Yes, this is a perfect casserole dish to freeze. Prepare per instructions. Cover dish well and freeze.
- Remove casserole dish from the freezer and thaw before baking.
Can I make a smaller portion?
If this portion is too large for your family, just make 2 smaller casserole dishes instead of one large. Freeze one and bake the other. You’ll have a second casserole dish for a lazy evening when you don’t feel like cooking. You’re welcome;).
This casserole dish is a great dish to use for this Creamy Chicken Casserole!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
TRY THESE OTHER CASSEROLES:
- Baked Chicken & Potato Casserole– Potatoes, chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice– Creamy rice with broccoli and chicken.
- Chicken Mushroom Alfredo Casserole– Chicken tenders and mushrooms in an Alfredo sauce.
Creamy Chicken Casserole
chicken & marinade-
- 8 oz bacon, 1/2 pack, cooked
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
- 6 oz shredded cheese, four cheese or mozzarella
- oil for frying
- Cut chicken breast into medium pieces (About 6-7 pieces per chicken).
- Prepare the marinade. Combine the milk, eggs and salt. Place the chicken pieces into the mixture and let marinade 4 hours (or overnight).The longer it marinades, the softer the chicken will become.
- Combine the ingredients for the flour mixture; the flour, paprika, pepper and salt.
- Take the chicken from the marinade and coat generously in the flour mixture. (Discard of the marinade.)
- Add enough oil to the skillet to completely cover the bottom of the skillet, turn on med/high heat. Once the oil is hot, fry 6-8 minutes, until chicken is crispy, turning as needed. Don’t crowd the skillet. (Using two skillets works quicker.)
- While chicken is frying prepare the cream mixture; combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, water, salt, paprika and pepper.
- Once chicken cooks, transfer onto a plate lined with paper towel.
- Cover the bottom of a 9″x13″ dish with some of the cream.
- Add the chicken pieces to the casserole dish.
- Completely cover with the remaining cream. (If preparing the night before and will be cooking it the following day, wait for the chicken to cool before covering with the cream.)
- Add half of the cheese. Add the cooked bacon and sauteed mushrooms. Sprinkle remaining cheese.
- Bake 350° for 30 minutes, covered with foil. Remove foil and continue baking another 15-20 minutes until cheese melts and cream bubbles everywhere.