A creamy Chicken Alfredo Bake made with tender pasta and juicy chicken breast tossed in a creamy homemade Alfredo sauce and loaded with cheese, then baked to perfection!
This chicken alfredo bake is such a delicious and easy recipe! The tender pasta and juicy chicken are baked in the creamy Alfredo sauce, giving you the ultimate cheesy pasta bake.
We love how easy this dish is. With just a few steps, it comes together so effortlessly. Did we mention you can also make this chicken alfredo in the instant pot?
The ingredients are simple and use staple ingredients you most likely already have.
- Pasta– Any short pasta will work for this recipe! We use cellentani pasta but you can also use ziti, penne, elbow, fusilli, or rotini.
- Alfredo sauce- We use 1½ portions of our homemade Alfredo Sauce for this pasta bake, but you can also use canned store-bought alfredo sauce for a quicker recipe.
- Chicken- We use our juicy pan-seared chicken breast for this recipe. You can also use leftover shredded chicken, like a leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Cheese– This dish uses shredded mozzarella cheese; provolone may be used.
How to Make Baked Chicken Alfredo:
This dish comes together so quickly and is a great make-ahead dish!
- Pasta– Cook the pasta al dente, according to package directions. Drain and add a 9”x13” casserole dish.
- Chicken– Meanwhile, prepare our Pan-Seared Chicken Breast. Slice the chicken into thin strands and add to the casserole dish.
- Alfredo sauce– Make 1 ½ portions of our creamy Alfredo Sauce, pour it into the baking dish, and toss to combine.
- Top– Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake until bubbly and the cheese has melted.
- Serve– Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
There are several different variations you can do with this chicken alfredo recipe! Here are some of our favorite ways:
- Add Bacon– Alfredo goes GREAT with bacon; add bacon to this dish. Use our Air Fryer Method to cook your bacon.
- Plain Pasta Bake– Take out the chicken and have a simple pasta dish without the hearty chicken.
- Veggies– Add broccoli, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers, and spinach. Just steam the veggies and add them to the casserole dish.
- Seafood Pasta– Add juicy shrimp to this fish instead of the chicken or along with the chicken.
- Crispy Topping– Top with cheese with panko crumbs for a crispy and crunchy topping.
- Cajun Bake– Use our homemade cajun seasoning for the chicken and add some to the Alfredo sauce for a spicy cajun pasta.
We love this dish because you can make it and freeze it for later! Here are a few ways you can prepare this ahead of time:
This method can be made up to 3 days in advance!
- Make this chicken pasta bake according to the instructions; don’t bake.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate.
- When ready to bake, allow to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then bake according to instructions or until cooked.
This method can be made up to 2-3 months ahead!
- Make this chicken pasta bake according to the instructions, don’t bake.
- Cover with foil, or make the dish in a disposable baking pan and freeze.
- When ready to enjoy, just remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Cover with foil and bake according to packet instructions, adding 10-15 minutes to the bake time.
This method can also be made up to 3 months ahead of time.
- Once the dish is baked in a freezer-safe dish, allow it to cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap and or foil and freeze.
- Remove from the freezer and thaw overnight and reheat until cooked through.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, you can use gluten-free pasta and gluten-free flour for the sauce!
You can substitute the cheese with asiago, gouda, smoked cheddar, or any other melting cheese.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave, stovetop, or the oven. Add a splash of milk to make the sauce creamy again.
Serve this pasta with a side to make it a complete dinner. Here are some of our favorite sides:
Chicken Alfredo Bake
- 12 oz pasta
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole milk or 2%
- 1 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook the pasta, al dente, according to package directions. Drain and add a 9”x13” casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, prepare our Pan-Seared Chicken Breast. Slice the chicken into thin strands and add to the casserole dish.
- Make 1 ½ portion of our creamy Alfredo Sauce and pour into the baking dish and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.Bake at 375°F uncoverd for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and chopped greens, Serve and enjoy.