This copycat recipe for Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits is a winner! The flakey butter biscuits are packed with shredded cheese and brushed with delicious garlic herb butter. Have these cheddar biscuits ready to serve in under 30 minutes!
These cheddar biscuits are a great spin on our classic biscuit recipe.
CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS-
These biscuits turn out so buttery, flakey, and melt-in-your-mouth soft. Loaded with shredded cheese and topped with flavorful butter, they are irresistibly delicious.
CHEDDAR BISCUIT INGREDIENTS-
This recipe is similar to our classic biscuits. For detailed instructions on getting the perfect biscuits, check out our classic recipe.
- BISCUIT BATTER– You want to use our homemade biscuit recipe for the batter.
- CHEESE– We use a mixture of shredded mild and sharp cheddar cheese. You can use any cheese you have on hand.
- GARLIC– Adding garlic powder to the batter will give you that extra flavor!
- BUTTER SPREAD– For the butter spread we use dried parsley, garlic powder and melted butter.
HOW TO MAKE CHEDDAR BISCUITS-
This recipe comes together so quickly, so plan accordingly!
- Prep– Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dry ingredients– Sift the flour, sugar, salt, garlic powder, cream of tartar, and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Combine– Add cubed cold butter to the dry ingredients and mix with a pastry cutter.
- Cheese– Mix in the shredded cheese into the flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk- Pour in the buttermilk and mix just until incorporated.
- Roll out dough– Lightly dust the workspace with flour and add the mixture to surface. Shape into a 5″x10″ rectangle and fold one side into the center and repeat with the other side, roll out into a recrangle again.
- Shape dough- With a biscuit mold, shape 10 biscuits and then create 2 more with the remaining dough.
- Baked biscuits- Add the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake.
- Brush tops- Once the biscuits are golden and crispy, remove from the oven and top with the garlic and herb butter.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes. Uncooked biscuit dough is great to freeze. Layout-shaped biscuits on a flat platter or baking sheet and freeze. Once the dough is frozen, transfer it to a plastic freezer bag. Bake as instructed, adding a few minutes to the bake time since the dough is frozen.
Reheat the biscuits in a microwave, toaster oven, air fryer, or in the oven until reheated and warm.
Yes! These biscuits are even great to make the night before. Prepare as per instructions and refrigerate the shaped biscuits. Keep biscuits covered. Bake in the morning per instructions.
Storing these in the fridge, the biscuits will last for up to a week if covered tightly.
If you do not have buttermilk on hand you can make your own! Just mix together 3/4 cup whole milk, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, or white vinegar.
WAYS TO SERVE BISCUITS-
We love serving these cheddar biscuits as a side dish for dinner! Here are some of our favorite dinner recipes to serve them with. More dinner ideas can be found in our entree category:
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Cube butter and place in the freezer while you prep and measure remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine sifted flour, sugar, salt, garlic powder, baking powder and cream of tartar.
- Mix in the butter with the flour ingredients until crumbly. Don't overbeat.
- Add in the shredded cheese and combine.
- Create a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk and mix just until incorporated.
- Lightly dust the workspace with flour and add the batter to the floured surface. Shape into a rectangle then fold one side into the center and repeat with the other side.
- Carefully transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
- Combine the butter, garlic and parsley for the herb butter and melt in a saucepan or microwave.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and brush the tops with melted herb butter. Enjoy!