This is the BEST and easiest Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe made from scratch! The rich and creamy sauce uses simple ingredients and is completely ready in 10 minutes!
HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE RECIPE-
What is Alfredo Sauce? Alfredo sauce is a classic Italian sauce that is sometimes called white sauce. It uses butter, parmesan cheese, and heavy whipping cream and is seasoned to taste.
This homemade Alfredo version beats Olive Garden’s and the store-bought Ragu sauce any day and is so easy and quick to make!
Alfredo sauce is so simple and uses just a few ingredients, ones you most likely already in your fridge – winner.
- Heavy Cream– Heavy whipping cream for a richer flavor.
- Milk– Helps balance the richness and thickness of the sauce.
- Butter– Unsalted butter adds a depth of flavor to the sauce.
- Garlic– Enhances the bland taste; don’t skip the fresh garlic. You can use salted butter, but then use less salt for seasoning.
- Flour– Acts as a thickening agent.
- Parmesan cheese– You can use store-bought grated cheese or grate fresh cheese with excellent results.
- Salt and pepper– Season the sauce to taste.
Pro Tip: The consistency of this Alfredo sauce is thick. Use 2 teaspoons of flour instead of 1 tablespoon for a thinner sauce!
HOW TO MAKE homemade ALFREDO SAUCE-
Making homemade Alfredo sauce from scratch is quick and easy; let’s start.
- In a large skillet or medium saucepan, over low/medium heat, add the butter and minced garlic. Cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping cream and flour.
- Stir in the milk and heavy whipping cream/flour into the butter and garlic.
- Add the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the sauce, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens.
Whenever you think of Alfredo sauce, the first thing that comes to mind is pasta and you are right. However, don’t limit the creamy sauce just to the pasta, enjoy Alfredo in so many variations:
- Shrimp Alfredo
- Chicken Alfredo Flatbread Pizza
- Classic Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken
- Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Crockpot Chicken Alfredo
storage & reheating:
We often like to make two to three portions of the Alfredo Sauce and use it in different variations and here are ways to store the white sauce once it’s made.
- Fridge- The sauce will stay fresh in a jar sealed for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Reheat– Reheat over low heat until hot. You may need to add more milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Freezing– We don’t recommend freezing the Alfredo Sauce.
For a healthier option, leave out the heavy whipping cream and substitute for milk instead.
You can substitute the cream with half and half for a lighter sauce.
You want to make sure to keep the sauce cooking over low/medium heat. If you cook it over high heat, the sauce will separate and you can scorch the bottom.
The heat was too high and it scorched the milk causing it to separate. You want to keep it at med/low heat.
Once you try this homemade version of the Classic Alfredo Sauce, it will be on repeat in your home!
More Popular Sauces to Try:
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or 2%)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a skillet, over low/med heat, melt together butter and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Whisk together the heavy whipping cream and flour. Pour cream/flour and milk pour into the skillet, whisk vigourously. Add the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Continue cooking until sauce thickens and is well incorporated.