This homemade teriyaki sauce is so easy to make and is ready in just 10 minutes. Made with just a few simple ingredients, it is the BEST teriyaki sauce!
The sauce is so versatile and may be used in so many ways.
BEST TERIYAKI SAUCE-
You won’t believe how easy it is to make this authentic Japanese sauce! The sweet and savory thick sauce is made with a little kick from the red pepper flakes.
I often will double or triple the portion of the sauce and keep it refrigerated to use on different recipes throughout the week. Making the sauce yourself saves you so much money as it’s pretty expensive at the store.
TERIYAKI SAUCE INGREDIENTS-
Simple ingredients you most likely already have in your kitchen.
- Soy sauce– Soy sauce is the main ingredient so you want to use it as a good quality one. We love using the low-sodium Kikkiman brand. You can use regular soy or gluten-free soy sauce.
- Water– Water dilutes the sauce.
- Garlic– Minced garlic brings flavor into the sauce.
- Ginger– Grated ginger also adds that sauce it’s classic flavor, we use a microplane to grate the ginger.
- Cornstarch– This is your thickening agent that will give you that thick and hearty teriyaki sauce.
- Brown sugar– Adds the sweetness to the sauce. For a sweeter sauce, add more sugar.
- Red pepper flakes– We love adding red pepper flakes to add a little bit of kick to our sauce. The pepper flakes are optional though. You can adjust the amount you add to control the heat of the sauce.
HOW TO MAKE TERIYAKI SAUCE-
With just 6 basic ingredients, have this authentic Japanese sauce ready in just 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the soy sauce, water, ginger and garlic, cornstarch and red pepper flakes. Whisk to combine.
- Add the sauce mixture into a small saucepan and bring to a soft boil and remove from heat.
- Serve the sauce as desired.
Enjoy the sauce in so many different ways. You can use this recipe as a sauce or even as a marinade.
- AS A MARINADE– We love marinating our chicken, steak, and salmon in the thick and hearty teriyaki sauce. Just add the desired meat along with some of the sauce in a ziploc bag and allow to marinate, then cook.
- AS A SAUCE– There is nothing better than to use this sauce in the classic Chicken Teriyaki. You can also use this sauce to serve over steak and even make a vegetable teriyaki!
More Asian-inspired recipe:
We have so many different Asian recipes on our blog as we love the cuisine!
Homemade Japanese Teriyaki Sauce
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, water, garlic, ginger, cornstarch, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar.
- Add the mixture to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool.
- Serve as desired.