The BEST homemade basil pesto sauce recipe that is so fresh and loaded with so much flavor! This easy pesto sauce is great to use as a marinade, over pasta, and as a condiment.
HOMEMADE PESTO SAUCE-
This flavor-packed pesto sauce is delicious and so much better than any store-bought pesto. We love using pesto in our flatbread, pizzas, pasta, and as a marinade. You will not believe how easy it is to make this recipe and it is so inexpensive!
For this homemade basil pesto recipe, all you need is just 6 ingredients and a blender!
- Fresh basil– This recipe calls for fresh basil leaves.
- Garlic– Fresh garlic adds so much flavor to the sauce!
- Pine nuts– Pine nuts are the key ingredient.
- Parmesan– Fresh shredded parmesan cheese or pre grated parmesan cheese with work.
- Salt– Use salt to taste for this sauce.
- Olive oil– Olive oil is what give the sauce is creaminess.
- Lemon juice– Adds that kick of zest and elevates the sauce.
HOW TO MAKE PESTO-
A food processor or blender will work in this recipe. We have this one and use it all the time, it’s so versatile.
- In a food processor, add the basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, salt, olive oil and lemon juice. Blend until the ingredients are well combined and smooth.
- Serve as desired.
- Enjoy, friends!
The pesto sauce is so versatile and may be used in many be enjoyed in so many ways.
- PASTA– Add the pesto sauce in pasta for ultimate Italian dinner.
- SAUCE– Use as a sauce for pizza and flatbreads. You can add the sauce before or after baking.
- MARINADE– Marinate your meat, chicken, and shrimp in pesto sauce and cook to enjoy.
- SALAD– Drizzle the sauce over your salad for more flavors! This would be great with our Tomato Burrata Salad.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
For authentic pesto, you want to use basil. However, you can use parsley and cilantro instead of basil and it will still taste great, just won’t be that classic flavor. You can even combine all three for that perfect balance of flavors.
Pine nuts are used in traditional pesto sauce. You can substitute it for walnuts or even blanched almonds and get a slightly different flavor.
Yes! Basil pesto freezes GREAT! Add in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Store the basil in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you store this sauce properly in the fridge, it will stay fresh for up to a week.
You can wash and then drain your basil in a salad spinner. Or wash and allow water to drain using a sieve then pat dry with a paper towel.
Other sauce recipes-
- Japanese Teriyaki Sauce
- Russian Dressing
- Spicy Mayo Sauce
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
Basil Pesto Recipe (Pesto Sauce)
- In a blender or food processor, add the basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic cloves, salt, olive, oil, and lemon juice and mix until blended and a sauce forms.
- Serve the sauce ad desired.
- Fridge: Store homemade sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freeze: Freeze sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 months.