The BEST Bolognese Sauce Recipe loaded with so much flavor! Ground beef sauteed with vegetables in a thick sauce, the ultimate hearty dinner recipe.
We absolutely love sauces that can accompany pasta, like our Alfredo Sauce and this Bolognese sauce. Both are great for meal prepping.
What is bolognese sauce?
Bolognese sauce is different from the classic spaghetti sauce. This is the best bolognese sauce recipe that is loaded with meat, carrots, onions, celery, peppers, garlic, and tomatoes mixed with pasta sauce. The added vegetables add so much flavor to the sauce! While classic spaghetti sauce is tomatoes with onion and seasonings.
Serve this sauce over cooked pasta for a great weeknight dinner.
How to make bolonese sauce recipe-
This traditionial bolognese sauce is so simple to make.
- PREP VEGGIES- Finely chop the onion and celery and cube the pepper and carrot. Tip- If you don’t like tomato chunks, chop the tomatoes but be sure to keep the juices.
- SAUTE VEGETABLES– In a deep skillet or a Dutch oven, saute the onion. Add the chopped veggies and saute until fully cooked and tender.
- MEAT-Add in the ground beef and brown.
- BROTH– Add the seasonings and add broth and simmer until broth almost evaporates.
- SAUCE– Pour in the pasta sauce and bring to a boil then add the heavy whipping cream. Top with fresh greens.
- SERVE– Serve over a bed of pasta and ENJOY!
Chef’s TIP: As the sauce is simmering, cook pasta per instructions so that everything is ready at the same time.
What pasta can i use?
The classic pasta that goes with bolognese sauce is tagliatelle pasta. You can also use any other pasta such as pappardelle, fettuccine, rigatoni or penne pasta.
Can bolognese sauce be frozen?
This sauce is PERFECT for freezing, it may also be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days!
- To FREEZE- Place in an airtight container or freezer bag and will last in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight.
- To REHEAT- Reheat on the stovetop until reheated, mixing occasionally.
Prep the bolognese sauce and enjoy it through the week for meal planning.
Other italian dishes:
- Chicken Scampi– with a delicious sauce.
- Pasta Fagioli– comfort food.
- Shrimp Scampi– in garlic wine sauce.
- Broccoli Chicken Pasta– with alfredo sauce.
BEST Bolognese Sauce Recipe
- 2 Tbsp oil (canola or olive oil)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely cubed
- 1/2 red pepper, finely cubed
- 14 oz can diced tomato
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 24 oz marinara (pasta sauce)
- In a deep skillet, heat the oil. Once hot, add the chopped onion and until tender.
- Add in the celery, red pepper, carrot, garlic and diced tomatoes. Saute the vegetables until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Then, add the ground beef and cook until fully browned, breaking up as needed.
- Season with italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt, pepper and paprika. Pour in the beef broth and allow to simmer until the broth is almost evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Add in the pasta sauce and bring to a boil. Pour in the heavy whipping cream and bring to a soft boil. Top with fresh chopped greens.
- Serve over pasta and enjoy.