This under 30-minute Olive Garden CopyCat Pasta Fagioli Recipe is amazing. The hearty soup is filled with ground meat, pasta, beans and vegetables, the perfect recipe for comfort food during the cooler weather. Enjoy the soup with homemade Russian Bread.
Though the recipe is loaded with so many vegetables (like our Borscht recipe), it’s surprisingly rather easy to make.
What is Pasta Fagioli?
Pasta Fagioli is a traditional Italian soup that translates to pasta and beans. Like many other recipes, the traditional soup is tweaked to the personal preferences of the one cooking the soup. Some enjoy the soup really hearty almost chili-like while others prefer the consistency with more liquid. Either way you like it, this recipe is a keeper.
The ground meat with pasta and vegetables with fresh spinach and beans in a broth is satisfying, filling and so delicious.
Prepare all of the ingredients for the soup.
- Chop diced tomatoes if you don’t like chunky tomatoes (keep the juices).
- Finely chop onion, cube celery and carrots.
- Measure out remaining ingredients.
How to make Pasta e Fagioli?
This soup is wonderful as it can be prepared completely in one pot, we use a Dutch oven, eliminating extra dishes.
- Cook ground meat, season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, saute until tender. Add celery and carrot and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Season soup. Add pasta, broth, water and diced tomatoes with juices. Cook until pasta is fully cooked.
- Add fresh spinach and beans. Simmer a few minutes and enjoy.
- TIP: Test soup and add additional seasonings if desired.
Can I freeze Pasta Fagioli?
Yes, this soup may be frozen but without the pasta. If you’ll be freezing the soup, don’t add the pasta to it, add the cooked pasta when the frozen soup has thawed and is being reheated.
How to make Pasta Fagioli in a Slow Cooker?
- In a skillet, cook ground meat with onion until onion is tender. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients minus the pasta, spinach and beans.
- Cook on low heat 6-8 hours and 3-4 on high.
- Turn heat to high and add the pasta, beans and chopped spinach. Cook another 30 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Enjoy.
I hope you enjoyed this Italian Pasta Fagioli hearty soup recipe and it will become a favorite in your home.
Other SOUP recipes to try:
- Meatball and Rice Soup– Comfort in a bowl.
- Zuppa Toscana Soup– Another great Italian soup.
- Creamy Tomato Basil– With hidden vegetables.
- Simple Russian Soup– Classic Russian soup.
Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (or olive oil)
- 1 large onion, finelt chopped
- 2 celery stalks, cubed
- 2 large carrots, cubed
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked Ditalini pasta
- 3 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef with 1 Tbsp oil.
- Finely chop onion. Add to the beef and cook until tender.
- Cube the celery and carrots into small cubes. Add to the beef and onions. Cook 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring as needed.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, water, ketchup, garlic, salt, pepper, and pasta to the Dutch oven. Cook for 15 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- Add the spinach and beans to the Dutch oven and mix. Bring to a simmer and turn off. Season with additional seasonings if needed.