This under 30-minute Olive Garden copycat Pasta Fagioli Recipe is amazing! The hearty soup is filled with ground meat, pasta, beans and vegetables.
This soup is pure comfort food during the cooler weather with homemade bread.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Though the recipe is loaded with so many vegetables (like our Borscht recipe), it’s surprisingly rather easy to make.
Enjoy this video recipe tutorial for the Pasta Fagioli. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel. 🙂
What is Pasta Fagioli?
Pasta Fagioli is a traditional Italian soup that translates to pasta and beans. Like many other recipes, the traditional soup is tweaked to the personal preferences of the one cooking the soup. Some enjoy the soup really hearty almost chili-like while others prefer the consistency with more liquid. Either way, this recipe is a keeper.
The ground meat with pasta, vegetables with fresh spinach, and beans in broth is satisfying, filling and so delicious.
Prepare the ingredients for the soup.
- Chop the diced tomatoes if you don’t like chunky tomatoes (keep the juices).
- Finely chop the onion, cube celery, and carrots.
- Measure out the remaining ingredients.
How to make Pasta Fagioli?
This soup is wonderful and it can be prepared completely in one pot. We use a Dutch oven, eliminating extra dishes.
- Cook ground meat, season 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Then add the onion, saute until tender. Add celery and carrot and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add pasta, broth, water, diced tomatoes, ketchup, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning with juices. Cook until pasta is fully cooked.
- Add fresh spinach and beans. Simmer a few minutes and enjoy it.
- TIP: Test soup and add additional seasonings if desired.
Can I freeze Pasta Fagioli?
Yes, this soup may be frozen but without the pasta. Add cooked pasta when the frozen soup has thawed and is being reheated.
How to make Pasta Fagioli in a Slow Cooker?
- In a skillet, cook ground meat with onion until onion is tender. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients minus the pasta, spinach, and beans.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours and 3-4 on high.
- Turn heat to high and add the pasta, beans, and chopped spinach. Cook another 30 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Enjoy.
I hope you enjoyed this Italian Pasta Fagioli hearty soup recipe and it will become a favorite in your home.
Other SOUP recipes to try:
- Meatball and Rice Soup– Comfort in a bowl.
- Zuppa Toscana Soup– Another great Italian soup.
- Creamy Tomato Basil– With hidden vegetables.
- Simple Russian Soup– Classic Russian soup.
Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely cubed
- 2 large carrots, finely cubed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked Ditalini pasta
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, divided
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef with 1 Tbsp oil.
- Finely chop onion. Add to the beef and cook until tender.
- Cube the celery and carrots into small cubes. Add to the beef and onions with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring as needed.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, ketchup, garlic, remaining salt, pepper, and pasta to the Dutch oven. Cook for 15 minutes, until the pasta is tender, then add the bay leaf and Italian seasoning,
- Add the spinach and beans to the Dutch oven and mix. Bring to a simmer and turn off. Season with additional seasonings if needed.