This delicious Potato Chicken Mushroom Casserole recipe is the perfect dinner casserole. Layered with potatoes, chicken and mushrooms in a creamy sauce topped with loaded of cheese, this casserole is a family favorite.
This casserole dish is a family favorite of ours, we enjoy it quite often. I love that the casserole is loaded with chicken, potatoes, mushrooms and cheese in the creamiest sauce. This casserole is pure comfort food during cooler weather.
can I prepare this chicken casserole ahead of time?
This chicken casserole recipe is great to make ahead of time! Just prepare casserole per instruction, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
can I substitute the mushrooms?
My kiddos are not fans of mushrooms, so what we like to do is just add mushrooms to half of the casserole dish. If no one like mushrooms in your family, omit them completely.
how to make the chicken mushroom casserole:
- CHICKEN- Beat the chicken breast with a meat mallet until even in thickness. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the seasoning. Season the chicken on both sides.
- In a skillet, over high heat, sear chicken 2-3 minutes per sides. Turn the heat down to low and cook another 5-6 minutes, until chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- POTATOES- Peel and thinly slice potatoes. (TIP: Use a mandoline slicer for uniform slices.)
- While the chicken is cooking, saute the potatoes in a skillet with oil for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- MUSHROOMS- Peel and slice the mushrooms. Finely chop the onions.
- Saute the mushrooms, onions and minced garlic with oil until mushrooms are golden.
- SAUCE- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce,
- In a casserole dish, add the cooked potatoes along the bottom of the dish. Top with fresh chopped dill and cilantro.
- Slice the chicken breast and distribute over the potatoes.
- Top with the mushroom mixture. Layout butter slices over top of the mushrooms.
- Pour the sauce mixture all over the ingredients.
- Top with cheese and fresh dill. Cover with foil.
- Baked at 400°F for 35 minutes and an additional 10 without the foil.
NOTE: For easier cleanup, line the sides of the casserole dish with parchment paper or foil and remove once baked. (I love these pre-cut parchment paper sheets, they are so much easier to work with!)
This homemade casserole dish was inspired by my friend, Ivanka. She brought something similar to a girl get together and it was a HUGE hit! I couldn’t wait to prepare the dish for my family, who love it as well (minus the mushrooms).
try these other casseroles recipes-
Potato Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- 2 chicken breasts (1 lb)
- 8 large potatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dill, chopped
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- oil, for sauteing
- 4 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Beat chicken breast until even in thickness. In a bowl, combine seasonings for chicken. Season both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Over med/high heat, heat 2 Tbsp oil in a skillet. Sear chicken 2-3 minutes per side. Turn heat down to low and cook another 5-6 minutes, until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes slice into thin slices. Over medium/high heat, saute the potato for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and cover to keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms with chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until mushrooms are golden, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine together the sour cream, egg, mayo, milk, salt and pepper.
- Once the potatoes are tender, transfer them into a casserole dish. Spread them evenly along the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with chopped greens.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strands. Spread over the potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Top chicken with the mushroom mixture. Place 4 Tbsp of butter into the dish.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and pour the sauce all over the casserole.
- Add the cheese and cover dish with foil.
- Baked at 400°F for 35 minutes, remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Add more herbs and serve.
This post was originally published on February 2013, updated August 2019.