This easy Potato Chicken Casserole recipe is a family favorite. Thinly sliced potatoes layered with chicken thighs and vegetables in a creamy sauce and topped with cheese and herbs. Once baked, the potatoes and chicken become so flavorful and juicy. The perfect comfort food.
This chicken casserole is ready to go into the oven in 15-minutes.
PIN this to your Entree Board HERE!
Follow VALENTINA’S CORNER on Pinterest or more recipe ideas.
This chicken casserole recipe is a must try. The thinly sliced potatoes combined with strips of chicken thighs and vegetables in an easy creamy sauce makes for a great baked casserole. The potatoes and chicken become so juicy and flavorful from the sauce and you want to savor every bite.
Since the casserole has both potatoes and chicken, it is so filling and you don’t even need a side dish for it. Winner!
TIPS How to Make Chicken Casserole-
- Be sure to use a mandolin slicer to slice the potatoes. They need to all be the same in thickness or some slices will cook while other pieces will be undercooked. I used a mandolin slicer for the carrots as well and then just cut the slices in half.
- Cheese is always best if a block of cheese is purchased and grate it yourself instead of grated prepackaged cheese. There are added ingredients you will find in packaged grated cheese that you will not find in a block of cheese. These ingredients help keep the cheese fresh yet the cheese tastes and perform differently in recipes.
- If you like to prep for dinner this is a great recipe to prep. Slice potatoes and cover with cold water and refrigerate. Slice carrots and chop onion fine. Grate the cheese. You can even mix everything together for the cream if you want. I am a HUGE fan of prepping for dinner before my children are home from school. Then, just combine everything for the casserole and bake!
- Be sure to use a deep casserole dish when baking so the cheese doesn’t overflow.
- If you will be serving this for guests and want clean sides on the casserole dish, line the sides of your casserole dish with foil before adding all of the ingredients, then just remove before serving. Works like a gem. 🙂
What kind of potato is used in a potato casserole?
Since the potatoes are sliced thin and bake with many other ingredients, you can use any potatoes. Yukon gold, Russell or Idaho potatoes will all work just fine.
Can the chicken thighs be substituted?
Chicken thighs may be substituted for chicken breast if desired.
How long does a chicken casserole with potatoes bake?
Since everything is going in raw, you’ll need to give the casserole time to bake. All ovens are different and will affect the baking time will the sizes of the potatoes. Start at 60 minutes and add more time as needed. When potatoes pierce easily with a fork, the casserole is ready.
Try these other great recipes:
- Easy Meat and Potato Casserole– Potatoes with ground meat, tomatoes, and cheese!
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole– Creamy casserole with veggies, chicken, and rice!
- Chicken Zucchini and Mushroom– Chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms!
Easy recipe for baked chicken thighs, carrots and potatoes casserole with a creamy sauce and loaded with cheese. Such a perfect meal for a busy evening.
- 2 ½ pounds potatoes, sliced
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs, boneless skinless
- 1 carrot, sliced
- ½ small onion diced fine
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp Vegeta or you fav seasoning
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh herbs
- 4 Tbsp butter, sliced
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
Remove any excess fat from chicken thighs. Cut into thin strands. Lightly season with salt and pepper to taste, mix.
In a bowl, mix together heavy whipping cream, mayo, milk, ½ salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and ½ tsp fav seasoning.
Finely chop onion. Slice carrot thin on a mandolin slicer. Slice potatoes thin on a mandolin slicer. Run under cold water to remove starch and pat dry.
Combine onion and potatoes. Lightly season (salt, pepper, and Vegeta) toss. Add to the bottom of baking dish. Add herbs. Add carrots over potatoes. Add chicken over carrots. Add cubed butter. Pour milk mixture over ingredients in baking dish. Add grated cheese. Cover with foil.
Bake in preheated oven to 400°F for 60 min to 90 min, depending on your oven. Pierce potatoes to check for tenderness. Add fresh more fresh herbs if desired. Enjoy immediately.