This simple twice-baked potato casserole recipe is the ultimate side dish! Creamy mashed potatoes loaded with bacon, shredded cheese, green onion then baked.
There are so many different ways to enjoy potatoes. From this casserole to Baked Potatoes and Scalloped Potatoes – all so good in their own way!
TWICE BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE-
This recipe is like a loaded baked potato in a casserole dish. The creamy mashed potatoes combined with bacon, green onion, and shredded cheese then baked until creamy and cheese, SO GOOD!
We love serving this casserole for Thanksgiving and Christmas as a side dish.
- POTATOES– The best potatoes for this recipe is Russet potatoes.
- SALT– to flavor the potatoes.
- MILK– We use whole milk, but you can use 2% milk. For a creamier potato, you can use half and half or heavy whipping cream.
- BUTTER– You want to use unsalted butter.
- SOUR CREAM– Gives you a creamier casserole.
- SHREDDED CHEESE– You can use any of your favorite shredded cheese.
- BACON– Use our air fryer bacon recipe for the easiest bacon. Or cook using your favorite method
- GREEN ONION– We love adding green onion or chives on top of the casserole when serving.
LEVEL UP YOUR CASSEROLE-
Just like a loaded baked potato, there are so many different additives you can add to this casserole. Here are some other additions you can try:
- Jalapenos, for heat
- Fried Onion Strings
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Cream Cheese
- Caramelized onions
HOW TO MAKE LOADED POTATO CASSEROLE-
You are not going to believe how SIMPLE it is to make this recipe!
- Cook the potatoes then drain and mash.
- Add the milk and butter to a saucepan and cook on low until butter melts and mixture is warm.
- Whisk in the sour cream and add mixture to the mashed potatoes and mix until well combined.
- Add the creamy mashed potatoes to a casserole dish and top with bacon and shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake.
- Top with green onion and enjoy!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
This dish is GREAT to make ahead of time! Just prepare and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Make-ahead up to 24 hours.
You can freeze this dish, once cooled add the potato casserole into freezer bags or a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4 months.
Thaw overnight and then add the casserole dish and bake until reheated.
Any shredded cheese works great for this recipe! We like to use Mexican Four Cheese, Colby Jack, and Mild Cheddar Cheese.
Just reheat in the oven until warmed. We like to add extra shredded cheese when reheating.
We like Russet (Idaho) potatoes, but just about any potato will work.
Store the casserole in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days.
This casserole is a great side dish to just about any main entree. Here are some of our favorites:
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 2 ½ lbs russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 3/4 cup milk (whole or 2% milk)
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 8 oz Colby Jack cheese freshly shredded
- 8 oz bacon chopped
- 2 Tbsp green onion or chives to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2" cubes Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with 1" cold water. Season water with salt. Cook on medium/high heat until you can easily pierce through potatoes with a knife.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, add the butter and milk and cook until butter is melted. Turn the heat off and add the sour cream to the mixture and whisk until combined.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and mash or beat the potatoes with a mixer until creamy.
- Add the milk mixture and continue mixing until well incorporated. Transfer potatoes to a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bacon over potatoes and top with shredded cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake at 375˚F for 25 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese melts and potatoes are hot.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with sour cream.Enjoy!
NOTE: Recipe developed by Valentina’s Corner and first published on Natasha’s Kitchen.