The easiest homemade recipe for French Fried Onion Strings you will make over and over again. The onion is cut into thin slices then dipped into a seasoned batter and fried until crispy, so flavorful and addictive.
french fried onion-
One of our favorite appetizers in restaurants is onion rings (Blooming onions). They are amazing to share as an appetizer. You no longer have to wait to go out to enjoy this side dish. Once you try our homemade version, you’ll be hooked.
Thinly cut sweet onion dredged in cream then seasoned flour and fried until perfectly crispy and crunchy. The onion rings are best enjoyed with the easy homemade onion dipping sauce!
how to make french fried onion strings-
This recipe comes together really quickly. Prepare the different bowls for the recipe and have everything ready to fry.
CUT ONION- Cut the onion in half (or leave it whole for onion rings); then slice really thin. Heat oil for frying. You want to cut the onions really thin with a sharp knife or a madoline slicer.
FLOUR- In the first bowl, add 1/2 cup flour. Dredging the onion rings in flour will allow the heavy whipping cream to stick to the onion and give the onion rings crispiness.
SOAK- Whisk together the heavy whipping cream with salt. Transfer the onion from the flour and soak in batches.
SEASONED FLOUR- Add remaining flour with salt, paprika, pepper and garlic powder. Dredge soaked onion strings into seasoned flour and layout onto a plate so the onion rings don’t stick together.
FRY ONION- Fry the onion strings in batches for best results. Serve the fried onion with the homemade dipping sauce.
PRO TIP: Be sure oil is sizzling hot (very important!). If you add the onion strings into cold oil, the batter it was dredged and soaked in will come right off and the onion rings will be really unpleasant.
NOTE: Work in batches so the onion strings don’t stick together.
how to make the dip for onion strings-
In a bowl prepare the homemade dipping sauce for the fried onion. Combine the mayo, Sriracha, paprika, pepper, lemon and sugar (add additional Sriracha to taste).
how do you reheat fried onion?
The best way to reheat fried onion is in the oven or toaster oven. Place onion strings back into a preheated oven and heat until crispy and hot again.
If you’ve ever felt intimidated to make onion rings (onion strings), this recipe will change your mind. You will be so happy you gave the recipe a try!
check out these other great recipes:
- Creamy Asparagus– Asparagus in a creamy sauce with bacon.
- Garlic Butter Sauteed Shrimp– A simple shrimp recipe.
- Baked French Fries– The best french fries!
- Roasted Vegetables– Delicious veggies recipe!
French Fried Onion Strings
- 1 whole onion, I used sweet
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- oil for frying (olive oil or canola)
Onion String Dip-
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's)
- 1/4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground paprika
- dash of pepper
- 1 1/2 Sriracha (Red Hot or Tabasco)
- Cut the onion in half (or leave it whole for onion rings), then slice really thin.
- Heat oil for frying.
- In the first bowl, add 1/2 cup flour. Add the onions to the flour. Coat with flour, transfer onions to a plate. Add the remaining 1 cup flour to the bowl, the 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/8 garlic powder, combine everything.
- In second bowl, combine heavy whipping cream and 1 tsp salt.
- Working a handful at a time, take the onion strings, dip them into the heavy whipping cream, and tap off any excess cream. Then coat with the seasoned flour. Transfer to a plate.Continue with remaining onions strings.
- Be sure oil is sizzling hot. Place onion strings into the oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove when golden brown in color. Continue working with remaining strings.
- How to make the dip for Onion Strings-
- Combine mayo, Sriracha, paprika, pepper, lemon and sugar (add additional Sriracha to taste). Enjoy friends!.
- Enjoy, friends.