The ULTIMATE homemade Pumpkin Roll Cake Recipe is so easy to make! Soft, fluffy, and moist pumpkin roll cake with a sweetened cream cheese frosting filling topped with powdered sugar. This cake roll is the perfect fall dessert, especially during pumpkin season!
CLASSIC PUMPKIN ROLL CAKE RECIPE-
We love this EASY pumpkin roll recipe! The combination of taste and texture from the moist and fluffy pumpkin roll cake and the cream cheese frosting is truly amazing! The entire family will love this cake roll and you will love how simple it is to make.
PUMPKIN ROLL INGREDIENTS-
The pumpkin roll cake ingredients are so simple and basic.
- DRY INGREDIENTS– This recipe calls for all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- SUGAR– You want to use granulated sugar for this recipe.
- EGGS– Recipe calls for 3 large eggs.
- VANILLA– Vanilla extract is for extra flavor!
- OIL– The oil is what gives you the moist roll cake. You can use extra light olive oil or canola oil for the recipe.
- PUMPKIN PUREE– The main flavor component to this cake roll.
- NUTS– You can use either crushed walnuts, pecans or a mixture of both.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING– For the frosting we use cream cheese, unsalted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE A PUMPKIN ROLL-
You are going to LOVE this quick and easy it is to make this classic roll.
- Start by preheating your oven and greasing a 15×10 inch jelly roll pan (you can also just use parchment paper, we love this method most).
- DRY INGREDIENTS– Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- WET INGREDIENTS– In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until creamy. Add in the vanilla, oil and pumpkin puree, mix well. Add in the dry ingredients with the nuts and fold with a spatula until well combined.
- Spread the pumpkin cake batter on the prepared pan.
- BAKE– Bake in the oven until cooked. Roll the cake roll tightly into a kitchen towel and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING– Cream together the cream cheese with the butter. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until creamy.
- ASSEMBLE– Unroll the cake and spread the frosting over the cake and roll back up. Dust with powdered sugar and refrigerate.
- Slice and enjoy!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Once assembled, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.
If stored correctly, this pumpkin roll will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Yes! Once the cake roll is assembled, tightly wrap the pumpkin roll and add to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to enjoy, just thaw in the fridge. We like to thaw overnight.
You can use chopped walnuts or pecans. You can also combine and do a mixture of pecans and walnuts or just opt out of the nut completely.
You can sprinkle some powdered sugar all over the towel or line with parchment paper before rolling the cake roll.
You want to make sure you roll the pumpkin cake roll right away after baking, that makes it easier to roll. The cooler it gets, the harder it is to bend the cake and then it will crack.
OTHER DESSERT ROULADES-
Pumpkin Roll Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Roll Cake-
Pumpkin Roll Cake-
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and gently mix with a spatula until combined. Add in the chopped nuts and fold in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 375F for about 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the pumpkin roll cake to cool and flip the roll onto parchment paper or kitchen towel. Start rolling with the shorter end in a tight cake roll. Allow to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting-
- Unroll the cake, carefully not to tear. Spread the cream cheese frosting over the cake and reroll the cake tightly.
- Dust with powdered sugar and refrigerate until ready to serve.