A delicious recipe for homemade Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting made with just 4 basic ingredients. Use the frosting on your cupcakes, cakes, macarons, and even onto your cinnamon rolls.
BEST CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING-
This creamy homemade cream cheese frosting is sweet, fluffy, and perfect to use when decorating! You are not going to believe how easy it is to make this frosting. It is so rich, smooth, and not overly sweet, the perfect homemade frosting.
With just 4 staple ingredients, you can have this creamy sweet frosting ready in no time!
- Cream Cheese– Since cream cheese is the main ingredient, we recommended that you use a good quality brand, we use Philadelphia cream cheese.
- Butter– You want to use unsalted butter that is room temp.
- Vanilla– Vanilla extract is the flavor and taste!
- Sugar– Confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) as the sweetener.
HOW TO MAKE BEST CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE-
You are not going to believe how easy it is to make this frosting.
- Cream butter + cream cheese: In an electric stand mixer or bowl, cream together the softened cream cheese and softened butter with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add vanilla and sugar: Once the mixture is creamy and slightly fluffy, add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and again. Beat the mixture until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate: Refrigerate until ready to pipe.
HOW TO STORE FROSTING-
You want to make sure that you store the cream cheese frosting properly to avoid the frosting from melting!
- Storing in the Fridge– Store the buttercream frosting in an airtight container in the fridge. You can store it in the fridge for up to a week! When ready to use, just bring it to room temp for easier piping.
- Storing in the Freezer– This frosting freezes GREAT! Just add the frosting into a plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to 2-3 months. When ready to use, just thaw in the fridge until thawed and whip the batter again until creamy. If you need, add a couple more tablespoons of sugar.
HOW TO PIPE FROSTING-
There are several different ways to pipe this frosting. You want to use different piping tips and THESE disposable piping bags, depending on the style you are looking for.
- Classic Closed Star– This Ateco #846 tip is the classic piping tip for cupcakes, we love this piping tip!
- Open Star Tip– Using this Ateco #828 tip will give you another classic swirl style.
- Plain Tip– If you use this Ateco #808 tip you will get just a classic tube look.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, this cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated along with anything you use it on!
Yes, you can add lemon or orange zest, different flavors of extracts, or even spices like cinnamon or pumpkin spice.
Yes, to make your frosting thicker, keep adding powdered sugar by the tablespoon until it reaches desired consistency.
To add coloring, you can add gel or liquid food coloring and mix until well combined.
USES FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING-
There are many desserts to use this frosting on! Here are some of our favorite recipes we add this frosting to:
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- Once the mixture is creamy and slightly fluffy, add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and beat the mixture until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate until ready to pipe.