An EASY recipe for Homemade Cinnamon Rolls! The rolls are melt-in-your-mouth soft with a buttery cinnamon filling and topped with the best homemade frosting.
You cannot beat the aroma of freshly baked cinnamon rolls in the home, especially for breakfast.
Enjoy the detailed video tutorial on How to Make the ULTIMATE homemade cinnamon rolls. Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel!
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls-
Alright! Step aside Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls, this homemade recipe has come to town and it’s BOMB delicious.
Soft, gooey cinnamon rolls with butter cinnamon filling and topped with the absolute best frosting.
How to make Cinnamon Rolls?
This is such a simple recipe for classic cinnamon rolls with ingredients you most likely already have on hand.
Cinnamon Roll Dough-
- Dry ingredients– Measure and sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Create a well in the center of the flour.
- Wet ingredient– In a saucepan, over low heat, heat the cubed butter, milk, and sugar until butter melts and sugar dissolved. The mixture should be warm, not hot (if it gets too hot, it’ll kill the yeast). Remove from heat and whisk in the eggs.
- Make dough– Pour the milk mixture into the well and add the yeast, gently stir and cover until yeast is activated and becomes foamy.
- Prepare the dough– Mix the dough and knead 3-5 minutes. I just used a Kitchen aid mixer but you can do that by hand. The dough should be slightly sticky. I’d recommend starting with 3 1/4 cups flour, then add 1 Tbsp at a time, as needed. With the flour we use, our dough is perfect with 3 1/3 cups flour.
- Rise– Cover dough with a towel, keep at room temp. Allow dough to rise for 2 hours.
Cinnamon Roll Filling-
The cinnamon filling is what adds so much flavor to the cinnamon buns! You want to make sure the butter is softened and at room temperature or else it will not spread.
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Cinnamon Roll Frosting-
This cinnamon roll frosting is not like your ordinary frosting. With the added heavy whipping cream, the frosting is so light and airy and not overly sweet. It is hands down the BEST frosting recipe.
- Cream together the butter, cream cheese vanilla, and sugar.
- Add the heavy whipping cream. Beat until frosting is whipped and airy.
Roll and Shape Cinnamon Rolls-
Once the filling and frosting is prepared and dough has risen, it’s now time to roll up the cinnamon rolls
- Dough- Roll out the dough into a rectangle.
- Filling- Spread the butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar. Roll up tightly.
- Cut roll- Cut roll into 12 equal parts with a sharp knife or flavorless floss.
- Casserole dish- Add to a greased pan and allow to rise another 30 minutes.
- Bake: Pour heavy whipping cream over the rolls. Bake cinnamon rolls until tops are golden.
TIPS for the BEST Cinnamon rolls-
We answer some frequently asked questions for cinnamon rolls and troubleshooting tips for success for your homemade cinnamon rolls!
SECRET to the BEST ROLLS-
The “secret” to the most delicious cinnamon rolls is adding some of the frosting to the rolls while the rolls are still warm. The frosting penetrates into the buns giving them its gooeyness.
- Once you take the cinnamon rolls out of the oven, allow them to slightly cool then add half of the frosting. Once cooled, add remaining frosting.
How to serve the Rolls-
Cinnamon rolls taste best if served warm. You’ll want to warm the rolls for 5-8 seconds if they are at room temperature, and 10-15 seconds if refrigerated rolls.
Enjoy the sweet rolls with a cold cup of milk or a hot cup of tea or coffee! So good for breakfast.
How to make-ahead-
Prepare the rolls ahead of time (even overnight). Once the roll is cut into piece, cover and refrigerat until ready to bake.
- Flour– Properly measure the flour by scooping the flour into a measuring cup then scraping off any excess flour.
- Yeast- If the yeast doesn’t foam (activate), be sure your yeast is fresh.
- Heavy whipping cream– Add cold cream from the fridge for it to whip properly in the frosting.
- Butter– The butter needs to be room temperature and softened, NOT melted. You can even whip the butter for it to spread easier if desired.
This easy recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls will become a new family favorite.
OTHER SWEETS TO TRY:
- Banana Bread Muffins– with an easy frosting.
- Cranberry Orange Bread– perfect for fall.
- Sweet Bread Recipe– Twisted with jam.
- Cherry Cheesecake Buns– with cream cheese.
- Poppy Seed Babka– for poppy seed filling.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
cinnamon rolls –
cinnamon roll filling –
cream cheese frosting –
- 2 Tbsp of heavy whipping cream
cinnamon roll dough –
- Measure out the flour and sift together with salt into a bowl. Then, create a well in the center.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk, butter, and sugar. Remove from heat when butter is melted and whisk in eggs. (You want warm milk, NOT hot.)
- Pour the mixture into the well we created in the flour and sprinkle yeast on top. Stir lightly and cover with a towel until the yeast is foamy.
- Mix the dough using a paddle on a stand-up mixer until the dough is fully incorporated. Proceed to knead by hand for 3-5 minutes. Cover the dough ball with a damp towel and rest for two hours.
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon, then set aside.
cream cheese frosting –
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Slowly add in heavy whipping cream and beat until light and fluffy.
assemble rolls –
- Dust a surface with flour and roll out the dough into a 12×16” rectangle. Spread 8 Tbsp of softened butter on the dough, and sprinkle sugar filling.
- Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 12 equal buns.
- Arrange rolls face up on a lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise for an additional 30 minutes. Pour 2 Tbsp of heavy whipping cream over the rolls.
- Bake rolls at 375°F for 20-22 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- Allow the rolls to cool slightly before spreading half the frosting over them. Once fully cooled, apply the remaining frosting.
- Serve, and enjoy friends!
- Yeast activation: The liquid needs to be at a temperature of 100°F- 110°F for the yeast to activate.
- Clean cuts: Use a sharp knife or a string to create even buns along the roll.
- Secret to gooey buns: Applying half the frosting while the buns are still warm allows the frosting to penetrate the buns – don’t skip this step!