This is the BEST recipe for homemade Blueberry Muffins. Soft and airy muffins bursting with flavor from fresh blueberries and lemon. The muffins are topped with a cinnamon butter crumble and take the recipe to the next level.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Blueberry muffins recipe-
These blueberry muffins are so soft, airy, and cake-like in texture. The fresh blueberries with lemon add so much flavor to the muffins. Then, topped with a cinnamon crumble, they are the ULTIMATE muffin recipe you can make from scratch.
|The sour cream is what gives the muffins their airiness and softness.|
How to make Blueberry Muffins-
If you’ve ever felt intimidated to make muffins, or, if you’ve had bad experiences with making muffins from scratch – this recipe will change all of that. It’s so EASY to make and not much can go wrong!
- DRY INGREDIENTS– Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- WET INGREDIENTS– Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, sour cream, oil, and on low speed, beat until combined.
- COMBINE– Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix gently with a spatula.
- BLUEBERRIES– Mix the blueberries with 1 tsp flour. Add to the batter and gently mix.
- LINERS– Add the muffin liners to the pan and divide the batter evenly, resulting in 12 muffins.
- CRUMBLE– In a bowl, add all of the ingredients for the crumble. Mix with a fork until crumble forms. Top the muffin batter with the crumble.
- BAKE– Bake the muffins until a for inserted in the center comes out clean. TIP: All ovens are different, don’t over bake the muffins. Begin checking for readiness at about 17 minutes.
FAQ’s and TIPS for Blueberry Muffins-
- How long do Blueberry Muffins last? These will be good for 1-2 days at room temperature.
- Can blueberry muffins be frozen? Yes, freeze the muffins in a Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw muffins in the fridge overnight or on the counter. Heat in the microwave for 15 seconds to enjoy warm muffins.
- Can I use frozen blueberries? Yes, just stir them in frozen (or else they’ll make the batter purple).
- Do I have to use liners? We highly recommend muffins liners (we used THESE). If you don’t the batter will stick to the pan making the muffins hard to remove.
|You can drizzle lemon glaze over the muffins for more flavor. We used THIS glaze.|
Oh, I can’t wait for you to give these blueberry muffins a try. You will be pleasantly surprised how quick they are to make and even more surprised how wonderful they taste.
try these other muffins:
- Chocolate Banana Muffins– moist and fluffy banana muffins loaded with chocolate.
- Chocolate Chip Muffins– delicious banana muffins loaded with chocolate chip morsels.
- Banana Bread Muffins– classic banana muffins with a sweet frosting.
Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- 2 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Prepare batter: In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat together the sugar and eggs until fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, sour cream, and oil and mix on low speed until combined (or with a spatula).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold with a spatula until combined.
- In a bowl, toss the blueberries with 1 tsp flour and add to the muffin batter and gently incorporate.
- Evenly distrube the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups.
- Prepare crumble: Combine together flour, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and sugar until crumbly mixture forms (fork works great).
- Add the crumb topping onto the muffins.
- Bake muffins at 400°F for about 17-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean and muffins are golden.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix the cream cheese until smooth, add the powdered sugar and lemon juice and beat until creamy. (The glaze is optional.)
- Remove baked muffins from muffin pan and fully cool on a cooling rack.
- Drizzle icing on top of muffins and serve.