Homemade basic crepe recipe that is so EASY to make using only 6 ingredients you already have in the kitchen! You are going to love these thin and delicate crepes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
What is a crepe?
A crepe is an ultra-thin pancake that originates from France. The filling or topping can be either sweet like our Custard Filled Crepes or popular Meat Crepes that are savory. They can be served hot or cold.
Crepes are great for breakfast or when craving something sweet.
Basic crepe batter consists of staple household ingredients of milk (and or water), butter or oil, all-purpose flour, eggs, salt, and sugar. The easiest method to whip up the batter is to just add everything to a blender and blend until the batter is smooth and all ingredients incorporated.
If you’re looking for a blender, we highly recommend THIS one. It can be used in so many different ways, especially great for getting that perfect consistency for crepe batter.
How to make Crepe recipe?
- BATTER– Prepare crepe batter by adding the ingredients for the batter into a blender and blending until smooth.
- COOK CREPES– Add the batter to the skillet. As you are adding, swirl the pan so the batter is evenly distributed.
- ASSEMBLE– Enjoy the crepes plain or fill with your favorite filling and serve.
NOTE: We used a 12″ pan for this recipe. If you use a smaller pan, you’ll get more crepes.
Crepe filling ideas-
The possibilities for crepe fillings and toppings are endless for savory and sweet crepes.
Here are some ideas for crepe fillings:
- Peanut butter
- Whipped Cream
- Fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and bananas)
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Breakfast meats with eggs and cheese
- Yogurt, flavored or plain
- Chocolate ganache
- Jam or jelly
TIP for the BEST crepes:
- Butter crepes: If you will not be adding the filling right away, we like to take a stick of butter and lightly buttered the crepes as they are stacked so they don’t stick or dry out by being exposed to air. Be sure to keep them tightly covered once baked.
- Make-ahead: Prepare the batter, cover tightly, and keep refrigerated. Stir the batter well before cooking the crepes.
- Preheat skillet: You want to make sure your skillet is preheated before adding the batter. If it’s not, the batter will stick to the pan and will taste gummy.
- Greased skillet: Butter or lightly oil the skillet after each crepe for the perfect crepes that will flip and won’t tear. If you have a good quality pan, you won’t need to grease the pan after each crepe.
- Non-stick pan: You want to be sure to use a good quality non-stick skillet for the crepes. We have a pan dedicated just to crepe making. Yes, that’s how much we love them.
- Thin crepes: For perfectly thin crepes, we use a ¼ measure cup for a 10” pan and a ⅓ cup for a 12” pan. Don’t fill with batter all the way so it doesn’t spill and make a mess.
- Cooking heat: It’s extremely important you cook the crepes over medium/high heat. If you cook them over high heat, they brown quicker than needed, and low heat will result in gummy-like crepes. Med/high heat is best for crepes.
- Flipping crepe- To easily flip the crepe, lift up one side of the crepe and quickly insert a spatula under the crepe and flip it with the spatula so you don’t burn your fingers.
If you have ever felt intimidated to try crepes, this quick and easy recipe is amazing and you will have great results.
OTHER BREAKFAST FAVORITES-
- Ricotta pancakes– so easy to make.
- Breakfast sandwich– freezer friendly.
- Pancakes– so fluffy.
- Breakfast platter– perfect for hosting.
Basic Crepes Recipe
- In a bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar, salt, and milk.
- Add the flour to the mixture and mix again until all the flour is incorporated. Run crepe batter through a sieve.
- Grease the skillet with butter, oil or baking spray.
- Once the skillet is hot, turn heat to medium/high. Pour the crepe batter into skillet and swirl around the skillet so the batter is evenly spread in skillet.
- Once the bottom of crepe is golden, flip the crepe and cook until bottom is golden.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.