Recipe for homemade Savory Crepes with a meat and veggie filling. Thin crepes filled with meat and vegetables then sauteed until fully cooked. The crepes may be enjoyed as a side dish and so popular at parties
Savory Crepes are and have always been a big deal growing up! My mom would make them all the time and the recipe for Savory Crepes has always been a favorite! Crepes are cooked and then filled with a meat and veggie filling and sauteed until cooked.
These crepes are great to make ahead of time and may be frozen before they are cooked or leftovers.
Ingredients for Savory Crepes:
- Whole milk- Whole milk or 2% will work great in the recipe.
- Large eggs- If you don’t have large eggs, use 5 medium eggs.
- Oil- Canola oil or extra light olive oil will work.
- Sugar- Granulated sugar works great.
- Salt- All we need is just a dash of salt.
- Flour- All-purpose flour works great.
- Ground pork- We used ground pork for this recipe but you can use your favorite ground meat.
- Carrot- Large carrot grated.
- Onion- A sweet or white onion will work just fine.
- Mushrooms- We used white mushrooms but baby Bellas will work.
- Cabbage- Green cabbage is what we need and we do not recommend substitution with purple cabbage.
- Butter- Unsalted butter is what you’ll need.
- Mayo- Mayonnaise acts as a binding agent.
- Seasonings- For the seasoning, we used salt, pepper, and Vegeta. If you don’t have Vegeta, Lawry’s seasoning or your favorite seasoning will work.
How to Make Savory Crepes-
These savory crepes are a little time-consuming but worth all the effort. Start by making the crepe.
- Add all of the ingredients for the crepes into a blender, add the milk first.
- Blend until the batter is smooth.
- Run batter through a sieve.
- Add a thin layer of the batter into a nonstick pan or greased pan.
- Release the edges of the crepe and flip. Cook all the crepes.
- Finely shred two cups of cabbage and boil just until softened. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cooled, squeeze out any excess water and chop finely chop, add to a mixing bowl.
- Saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add the carrot with 1 Tbsp butter and cook until the carrots are tender, stirring as needed. Remove from the skillet and add to the mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, saute the chopped mushrooms until they are golden, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Allow all hot ingredients to completely cook.
- Once cooled, add the pork, mayo, and seasonings and stir to combine.
Assemble & Cook:
- Cut the crepes in half or thirds into smaller pieces.
- Add a light portion of the meat filling onto the crepe and fold once then again so it’s a triangle.
- Repeat with remaining crepes and filling.
- Grease the skillet with oil, add the triangle to the skillet, and fry for 8-10 minutes, turning a few times during the cooking process.
- Serve and Enjoy!
If making a double portion and sauteeing them all at once, add the cooked crepes to a baking dish, cover with foil and keep warm in the oven as the remaining crepes are being cooked.
- Fridge- These will keep tightly covered in the fridge for 2 days uncooked.
- Leftovers- Store any cooked crepes in the fridge for 2 days.
- Reheat- Reheat the crepes in a skillet over low heat or in the microwave.
Freeze the crepes uncooked for up to 2 months tightly covered in the freezer. Cooked crepes will keep 1 month in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat.
Tip: You can wrap them in the freezer individually then just enjoy and thaw a few at a time.
These crepes are great to make in advance!
Completely make the crepes with filling up to two days day in advance and just keep tightly covered in the refrigerator. Then, just sautee before enjoying.
I hope you loved these classic savory crepes with meat and veggie filling. Don’t feel intimidated by the instructions of the recipe, they are so easy to make and not much can go wrong when preparing them.
Other Side Dishes to Try:
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Smoked Salmon Appetizer
- BBQ Chicken Flatbread
- Caprese Bruschetta
- Jalapeno Poppers
Savory Crepes Recipe
- Add all of the ingredients for the crepes into a blender,add the milk first.
- Blend until the batter is smooth.
- Run batter through a sieve.Add a thin layer of the batter into a nonstick pan orgreased pan, we use a ¼ cup for uniform thickness. Cook until batter starts tobubble.
- With a spatula release the edges of the crepe and flip, and cook another minute.
- Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining batter.
- Finely shred two cups of cabbage and boil just untilsoftened, drain and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, squeeze out any excess water and finely chop,add to a large mixing bowl.
- Saute onion on butter until tender.
- Add the carrot with 1 Tbsp butter to the onion and cookuntil carrots are tender, stirring as needed. Remove from skillet and add tothe bowl with cabbage.
- In the same skillet, saute the chopped mushrooms until theyare golden, season lightly with salt and pepper. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Allow all hot ingredients to completely cool. Once cooled, add the pork, mayo and seasonings then stir to combine.
assemble & cook-
- Cut the crepes in half or thirds for smaller pieces.
- Add a the meat filling onto the crepe and fold once thenagain so it’s a triangle.
- Repeat with remaining crepes and filling and flatten thecrepe so it’s even in thickness.
- Grease skillet with oil, add the triangle the skillet andfry 8-10 minutes, turning a few times during the cooking process.
- Serve and Enjoy!