Amazing Carrot Cake Recipe. Flavorful, moist and insanely delicious easy carrot cake with a rich cream cheese frosting. The carrot cake is bursting with flavors from the combination of fresh pineapple, carrots, and frosting.
What is a Carrot Cake-
A carrot cake is a layered cake with grated carrots mixed into the batter with a buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
Carrot Cake with Pineapple-
Fresh pineapple is key to a delicious carrot cake. Some recipes call for canned pineapple. Skip all the extra preservatives that go into the canned fruit and use a fresh pineapple. Pineapple acts as a sweetener and the amount of sugar added to the recipe is reduced. Yes, please.
What goes into a Carrot Cake Recipe?
All recipes are different for carrot cake as are the ingredients for it. I love our version of carrot cake, you will too.
- For this recipe, you’ll need freshly grated carrots, toasted coconut flakes, freshly pureed pineapple with the basics of eggs, walnuts, flour, vanilla, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
How to Make Carrot Cake-
- Beat eggs with sugar.
- Finely chop fresh pineapple and blend, grate the carrots. In a bowl, combine the pineapple, oil, carrots and vanilla. Gently fold into the eggs and sugar.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add half of the flour to the wet ingredients. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon, add remaining flour and mix again.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 pan and bake layers.
- Prepare cream cheese frosting.
- Once layers have completely cool, add frosting between layers of carrot cake. Decorate and ENJOY!
TIPS for Preparing Cake-
- Okay, you’ll think I’m nuts BUT add the frosting to the layers while they are still slightly warm and enjoy a slice or two. Tastes like heaven.
- Sifting the flour helps it perform better.
- After the eggs are beaten with the sugar with a mixer. Use a wooden spoon or spatula for the remainder of the mixing. Helps cake layers stay fluffy and soft.
- Remove cake from the refrigerator before serving to allow the cream cheese to come to room temp. Tastes so much better.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe-
This fluffy cream cheese frosting is wonderful. It’s an easy frosting that goes so well with the layered cake.
- Beat room temperature cream cheese with sugar until creamy.
- Add vanilla and butter. Mix until fluffy and creamy.
How to decorate a cake?
I used a frosting spatula for decor. For the sides just made strokes going up. For the top, went around in circular motion and topped with crushed walnuts. Easy and gorgeous. Btw, I use the spatula for all my cakes. Makes spreading the frosting so much easier.
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large carrots (2 ½ cups grated)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup sweet coconut flakes
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups pineapple, cubed (1 cup pureed)
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 pkg cream cheese, room temp
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- crushed walnuts for decor, optional
- Preheat oven to 355° F. Spread coconut flakes onto a baking sheet, bake 5-7 minutes, until golden in color. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Cut pineapple into cubes, puree with a hand mixer.
- Peel and grate carrots.
Prepare cake layers:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line three 8-inch round baking pans with parchment baking. Spray with baking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs with sugar on high speed until mixture starts to become fluffy.
- In a different bowl combine oil, carrots, vanilla, and pureed pineapple. Add to the eggs mixture and mix with a spatula until combined.
- Add half the flour to the wet ingredients and mix with a spatula. Add the remaining flour and continue mixing with a spatula until combined.
- Add the chopped walnuts and toasted coconut. Fold into the mixture with a spatula.
- Pour the cake batter evenly between the three prepared baking pans. Bake at 350° F for 16-18 minutes. Once the cakes have completely cooled, remove from the pans and set aside to cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter on high speed.
- Add the sugar and vanilla, mix.
Assembling the cake:
- Place first cake layer onto a cake stand, add cream. Repeat with remaining layers and cream. Cover sides and tops of cake with frosting and decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate before serving.