Did you know you can make this amazingly soft and fluffy Apple Cake Recipe with just a few simple ingredients? The moist sponge cake loaded with apple slices is so so good.
Try these other delicious apple recipes such as our Apple Bread recipe or the Classic Hot Apple Cider! These recipes are especially great during apple season!
This fluffy apple cake is a classic in the Slavic community, we call it Sharlotka! I love to whip up this cake together when craving a sweet treat or when we get unexpected guests coming. The sponge cake combined with juicy apple slices and baked to perfection tastes so airy yet filling!
There is nothing better than a recipe with just a few classic and basic ingredients you most likely already have on hand!
- Apple– For this recipe, you can use almost any apple, but we prefer using a crispy apple to avoid a mushy cake. Crispy apples such as Granny smith, gala, fuji, golden delicious, Honeycrisp apples, or melrose apples will all work. We sliced the apple thin but they may be cubed.
- Eggs– The eggs give the cake its spongy cake.
- Vanilla– Gives the cake added flavor.
- Oil– Adds moistness to the cake.
- Sour Cream– Just like oil, adds the cake from being dry.
- Flour– Any all-purpose flour will be great in the cake.
- Baking Powder– Helps give the cake its shape and fluffiness
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CAKE-
- Prep pan- Line a 9” springform baking pan with parchment paper.
- Slice apples– Peel and slice the apples into thin slices or cut them into chunks and toss with 1 Tbsp flour, set aside.
- Wet ingredients– In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with sugar until fluffy. Add in sour cream and oil and fold in with a spatula.
- Dry ingredients– Combine the flour with baking powder.
- Combine– Add half of the flour mixture and gently fold in with a spatula. Add remaining flour and gently fold in with
- Bake– Add the apples to the batter reserving some for the top. Bake until the tops of the cake are golden.
There are so many different ways you can change up the apple cake recipe. Here are some variations to try.
- Fruit– Add more fruit like blueberries, banana slices, or strawberries.
- Nuts– Add walnuts or pecans to the batter for an apple pecan cake.
- Make square– Make the cake in a 9” square pan, you’ll bake it at the same time.
- Almond– Add sliced almonds to the top of the batter before baking.
- Cinnamon– Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the flour when tossing the apples with flour for a hint of cinnamon.
- Pears– You can use sliced pears instead of apples for a pear cake.
- Peaches– Fresh peach slices when peaches are in season for a peach cake.
- Leftovers– The apple cake is best if enjoyed the same day. If there are any leftovers, store them in room temperate for up to 2 days and in the fridge for 4.
- Freeze– Easily add slices of cake into a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight to enjoy. May be reheated in the microwave for a warm cake.
MORE cake RECIPES-
Apple Cake Recipe (Sharlotka)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9” springform pan with parchment paper.
- Clean and slice the apples and add to a bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp flour.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together with a blender on high for 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla, oil, and sour cream and gently fold with a spatula.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add half the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently fold then add remaining flour mixture and carely fold in with the spatula.
- Add the apples into the batter reserving about ¼ of the apples for the top.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and add the remaining apples on top.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick runs clean. Allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife around edges of the pan and release the pan.
- Top with powdered sugar, slice and serve.