This deliciously rich Chocolate Mousse Cake recipe is everything a cake lover can ask for! The moist chocolate cake layers with a sweet, generous mousse filling; it’s an elegant and beautiful cake yet so easy to make.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE-
This gorgeous chocolate mousse cake is so simple to make, and the flavor – delicious! The chocolate cake layers paired with the luscious homemade chocolate mousse cake filling come together nicely. If you love chocolate, this cake recipe is for you!
Cakes can be tedious to make, but don’t let the list of ingredients intimidate you! This dessert comes together so quickly!
Moist Chocolate Cake-
- Flour– Be sure to use good quality all-purpose flour for this cake.
- Baking Soda & Powder- To ensure the cake rises and is fluffy, use fresh baking soda and powder.
- Salt- We use salt to balance out the flavors.
- Cocoa Powder- This cake calls for unsweetened cocoa powder, Hershey worlds great.
- Sugar- Granulated sugar to sweeten this cake.
- Oil- You can use vegetable oil or canola oil for this recipe.
- Vanilla- Vanilla extract enhances the flavors in the cake.
- Eggs- Eggs are what bind and keep the batter together.
- Warm Coffee- Adding warm coffee to the batter is the key ingredient! The warm coffee brings out the chocolate flavor.
- Sour Cream– We add sour cream to help moisten the batter.
- Cake Soaking– For the cake soaking before frosting, we combine powdered sugar and milk.
Chocolate Mousse Cake Filling-
- Hot Water– Make sure the water is hot, not boiling but hot.
- Cocoa Powder– Be sure to use natural unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Chocolate Chips– You want to use semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels, chunks, or melting disks. The chocolate needs to be dissolved; use your favorite method.
- Heavy Whipping Cream– A good quality fresh heavy whipping cream gives the frosting light and airy texture.
- Powdered Sugar– To sweeten the mousse filling we use powdered sugar.
- Vanilla– Vanilla extract for extra flavors.
- Cream Cheese– Room temperature cream cheese is used to give the mousse creaminess and keep it from becoming runny.
HOW TO MAKE MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE-
Alright, first we make the cake.
- Prep– Preheat the oven and line 4 (9-inch) round baking pans with parchment paper.
- Dry Ingredients– Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, powder, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Wet Ingredients– In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs. Add in the oil, vanilla, warm coffee, and sour cream and mix.
- Combine– Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour into Pans– Divide the batter into the four prepared baking pans. If you don’t have four pans, bake two at a time.
- Bake– Bake until baked, and the toothpick runs clean through the cakes.
- Cool– Remove from oven and transfer from pans to cooling rack and allow the layers to completely cool.
MOUSSE CAKE FILLING-
Next, while the cake layers are cooling, we prepare our mousse filling.
- Melt Chocolate– In a bowl, whisk together the hot water and cocoa powder. Add the mixture to the melted chocolate and mix until combined. Set aside to cool completely.
- Cream Cheese– Use a stand mixer or handheld mixer, to beat the cream cheese. Once creamy, add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix.
- Whip Heavy Cream– In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy whipping cream until thick and fluffy.
- Combine– Add the cooled melted chocolate mixture to the cream cheese mixture and mix.
- Combine All– Add the whipped cream and beat on high until the mouse becomes thick, fluffy, and creamy.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE CAKE-
Once the cake layers are cooled and the mousse filling is ready, you can assemble the cake!
- Add the cake-soaking mixture to a squeezable bottle.
- Spread some of the mousse filling onto the cake stand to keep layers from moving, and add the first layer onto the cake stand.
- Soak the entire layer generously, top with mousse filling, and add the next layer. Repeat with all four cake layers.
- Cover the sides and tops with the mousse filling and then decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Slice and enjoy!
There are so many different ways to decorate your cake! Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Pipe leftover mouse filling into the desired design
- Pour top with chocolate ganache
- Top with fresh fruit
- Top with chocolate shavings
- Add coconut shavings or almonds
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
If you do not have 4, you can bake the first two layers, then the next two.
Yes! The warm coffee allows the cocoa powder to “activate” or bloom.
Your baking soda and powder may not be fresh.
The chocolate cake layers are more likely overbaked.
Yes! If you add it in when it is still warm, the mousse will melt and become liquid and will not hold shape.
Store the cake in the fridge to prevent the mousse from melting. Store in the fridge, covered for up to 4-5 days.
We do not recommend freezing this cake. You can freeze the chocolate cake layers if you want to make them in advance. Once cake layers are cooled, wrap them in plastic wrap, add them to a freezer-safe bag, and freeze them for up to 3 months. When ready to use, defrost in the fridge and make the cake.
Yes! Create the mouse up to 3 days in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Prepare the chocolate cake up to 2-3 days in advance. When ready, assemble and serve.
Yes! You love adding raspberry or strawberry puree between the layers, like our chocolate strawberry cake.
OTHER cake RECIPES-
- Carrot Cake Recipe
- Tiramisu Cake Recipe
- Banana Cake Recipe
- Honey Cake Recipe
- Coconut Cake Recipe
- Almond Rasp Coffee Cake
Rich Chocolate Mousse Cake
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
How to make chocolate cake-
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line four 9-inch round baking pans with parchment paper, spray the sides with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until combined.
- Add in the oil, vanilla, warm coffee, and sour cream and mix until combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Divide the cake batter evenly between the 4 prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until cooked and toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake layers to cool completely on a cooling rack.
How to make chocolate mousse frosting-
- Combine the hot water and cocoa powder in bowl.
- Add the chocolate chip morsels into a bowl and melt.
- Once the chocolate chips are melted, add to the cocoa powder mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the cream cheese mixture and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy whipping cream with a blender until fluffy and thick. Gently mix the heavy whipping cream with the chocolate cream cheese mixture on high until a fluffy chocolate mousse frosting is formed.
How to assemble the chocolate mousse cake-
- Once the chocolate cake layers are cooled, place one layer onto the cake stand.
- Add the cake soaking mixture to a squeezable bottle.
- Squeeze some of the soaking mixture all over the chocolate cake then top with some mousse filling. Top with the second cake layer.
- Repeat the process with all the layers and mousse frosting. Cover the sides and tops with the mousse filling and then decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice and enjoy!