Classic Chocolate Spartak Cake Recipe is the most stunning cake. Though the cake is a little more complex than most cakes, it’s worth all the trouble. Soft layers of chocolate with a rich cream, the cake definitely has a WOW factor!
We have shared our No-Bake version of the popular cake and I’m so excited to finally share the actually cake itself.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
There are many classic Ukrainian and Russian recipes that just about everyone makes and has their own personal spin on. This spartak happens to be one of them. The thin layers (eight to be exact) are covered with cream and set aside to soak. The chocolate layers become melt in your mouth soft, thanks to the rich cream and every bite is heavenly.
Just like with most recipes, read the whole way through so you know what you are doing before you get started, especially if this is your first time making the cake.
prepare the chocolate layers-
Prepare the batter: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa and powder. Set aside.
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
In a glass bowl (that will fit over the pot), whisk together the sugar, eggs, butter, baking soda and milk. Cook over med/high heat until sugar and butter completely dissolves, stirring as needed, about 6-8 minutes. TIP: Stir frequently and don’t let the bottom of the bowl touch the hot water.
Remove from heat and quickly stir in the flour mixture while it’s still hot. TIP: Add the flour mixture at once and not in batches. Set aside for the dough to cool, about 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven.
Shape layers: Once the dough is cooled but still warm, equally divide into 8 equal parts. Dust working surface with flour. Once you roll out a layer, place a plate or something with a 9″ diameter and cut out the layer. Keep the scraps. TIP: As you are working with rolling out the layers, keep the rest covered with a towel to keep warm.
After you roll out the two layers, bake them. In the meantime, work on the next set of layers. Continue with the process until all eight layers are baked.
Now take all the leftover pieces and bake them together. This will be used as decor.
NOTE: I find it easier to roll the dough out if I stencil the shape I’m supposed to be making on the parchment paper. It helps to ensure that you don’t make too large or too small of a layer and have extra waste.
prepare the cream-
In a large bowl, mix the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add in the powdered sugar and condensed milk and mix until combined. Fold in the heavy whipping cream.
assemble the cake-
Add a dab of the cream of the platter you’ll be assembling the cake in, this will keep the cake from sliding off the cake stand.
Place the first layer down, and generously cover with cream. Repeat with remaining layers. Cover the sides and the top of the cake with the remaining cream.
Crush the scraps of the cake layers and cover sides and top of the cake.
Cover cake tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
how to prepare the cake in advance?
This is a wonderful cake to prepare in advance for the holidays or a party.
The cake layers may be prepared up to 3 days in advance and kept tightly wrapped. Prepare the cream and assemble the day the day before the event.
Oh, friends. I cannot wait for you to give this cake recipe a try. It’s a personal favorite and SOO delicious.
The cake itself isn’t complicated or too difficult, it’s just a little time-consuming.
try these other popular cake recipes:
Chocolate Spartak Recipe
spartak cake layers-
- Preheat oven to 375°F at step 5.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. In a glass bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, butter, baking soda and milk. Steam over med/high heat until sugar and butter completely dissolves, stirring as needed, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the flour mixture while it's still hot. TIP: Add the flour mixture at once and not in batches. Set aside for the dough to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Dust surface area with flour and pour the batter on the workspace. Divide batter into eight even pieces.
- Sprinkle flour over the dough and roll it out to about a 9". Place a round dish over the dough and cut out an even circle. Keep the scraps.
- Place cake layer onto parchment paper carefully and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Repeat with all eight layers. Then, bake the leftover scraps.
prepare the frosting-
- In a large bowl, mix heavy whipping cream until thick and whipped.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter. Add condensed milk and powdered sugar and combine.
- Fold in the heavy whipping cream.
assemble chocolate spartak cake-
- Add some cream on the bottom of the cake platter and add the first cake layer. Cover with cream and top with another cake layer.
- Repeat with all the cake layers using the nicest layer for the top. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the cream.
- Blend or crush the baked cake scraps.
- Generously coat the top and sides of cake with the crumbs.
- Refrigerate overnight or until the cake layers soften.
- Enjoy, friends