An amazing Russian dessert. Easy sponge Cake Roulade with Raspberries, a rich and delicious dulce de leche cream and pureed raspberries. The perfect cake roll for guests or the Holidays.
How to make Sponge Cake Roll (Biskvit)-
- Divide egg whites and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sour cream.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whites and gently combine.
- Add flour, mix until well incorporated. Don’t overbeat the batter.
How to Make Roll-
- Spread batter onto a baking sheet and bake. (Use a baking sheet that’s about 12″x17″.
- Once baked, release edges of cake with a sharp knife and roll up into a roulade.
- Allow to completely cool before unrolling so the cake doesn’t crack.
How to Make Dulce De Leche Cake Cream-
- Beat butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy.
- Add half of the dulce de leche, gently mix. Add remaining dulce de leche, mix again.
- Fold in cool whip.
- Refrigerate cream until ready for use.
How to make Raspberry Puree-
- Blend together the raspberries with powdered sugar.
How to Assemble Cake Roulade-
- Gently unroll cake roll.
- Generously spread with pureed raspberries.
- Spread 2/3 of the cream over puree.
- Gently roll cake into a roulade.
- Add cream to tops and sides of roll.
Prepare chocolate decor-
- Melt chocolate.
- Spread chocolate in a thin layer on parchment paper, rest until chocolate sents.
- Break chocolate into pieces.
Prepare Chocolate Ganache-
- In a saucepan, over low heat, combine half and half with chocolate chunks.
- Once chocolate begins to melt, turn off heat and continue stirring until chocolate melts completely.
- Once ganache cools, coat top of roulade.
How to decorate Cake Roulade with Raspberries-
- Add fresh raspberries to top of cake roulade.
- Add chocolate pieces.
- Garnish with mint, if desired.
- Cover and keep cake refrigerated.
TIP: For easier cleanup, place parchment paper that was used during baking under the roulade. When the decorating is completely finish, lift cake and remove parchment paper.
If you make this Cake Roulade with Raspberries, don’t forget to tag us on social media, #ValentinasCorner. 🙂 We love to see your creations.
Cake Roulade with Raspberries
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 oz fresh raspberries
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 (8 oz) cream cheese, room temp
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (14 oz) can dulce de leche
- 4 oz cool whip, thawed
- ½ cup milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 ½ Tbsp half and half
- 3 oz fresh raspberries
- 3 oz chocolate chunks, melted
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with baking spray and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Beat egg whites on high speed about 2 minutes. Slowly add sugar and beat another 2 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sour cream. Add yolk mixture to egg white and give a quick mix on low speed.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Add half the flour. Mix with a spatula. Add the rest of the flour and mix. Don’t overbeat the batter.
- Pour mixture into a baking sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes. Check the middle of the cake for readiness with a toothpick, it should come out clean.
- Remove cake, allow to cool about a minute., release edges of the cake with a sharp knife, if needed. Gently roll up the cake. Allow cake to cool completely
- Prepare cream:Beat butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add 1/3 of the dulce de leche, gently mix, and another 1/3 and mix, add the rest and mix. Fold in cool whip with a spatula Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare raspberry puree:Blend the raspberries and powdered sugar (or mash with a fork).
- Assemble cake:Slowly unroll cake. (don’t discard the parchment paper). Distribute the raspberry puree over cake.
- Take the cream and spread about 2/3rd of the cream onto the roulade.
- Slowly roll the cake back up.
- Cut the used parchment paper in half. Place onto the cake platter you will be using. Add roulade in the middle of the platter on top of parchment paper.
- Cover the tops and sides of roulade with cream.
- Prepare chocolate for decor (optional). Melt chocolate and spread over parchment paper into a rectangle, allow to set. Break the chocolate up into chunks for decor.
- Prepare ganache.Heat half and half, pour over chocolate chunks and cover. Once chocolate begins to melt, stir until ganache is smooth and creamy. Cool ganache.
- Take the cooled ganache cover sides and top of the roulade.
- Add the fresh raspberries to the top of the roulade. Add chocolate chunks.
- Gently lift one side of the roulade and pull our parchment paper. Do the same to the other side. No need wipe the platter for minutes, it’s nice and clean.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.