This delicious Chocolate Strawberry Cake is the ultimate cake recipe. Soft and moist chocolate cake layers with a strawberry puree and a creamy frosting topped with coconut shavings.
This is an easy cake that makes for the perfect dessert, just like our Nutella Cake!
CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY CAKE-
The combination of flavors in this cake is amazing. The cake layers with the cream cheese frosting and strawberry puree is truly heavenly! This cake is the perfect dessert for get-togethers and is always a hit regardless of the holiday.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY CAKE-
Do not be intimidated by the number of steps in this recipe, this recipe is easy to make and totally worth the time!
- In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Divide batter between baking pans and bake, cool layers completely.
- In a blender, add the fresh strawberries, sugar, heavy cream and puree, set aside.
- Cream together all the ingredients for the frosting.
- Once the layers are cooled, cut the cake layers in half. Add one layer to your cake platter and spread puree. Top with frosting and close with another layer of chocolate cake. Repeat this with all the cake layers.
- Add the last chocolate cake layer and cover the top and the sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Decorate as desired and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Cut the cake into slices and serve!
CAKE DECORATING OPTIONS-
There are several different ways you can choose to decorate your cake, the possibilities are endless! Here are some of our favorite ways to decorate this chocolate strawberry cake:
- Almonds– As this recipe calls for, we like to top the cake with toasted almonds.
- Strawberries– You can decorate your cake with slices, halved, or whole strawberries.
- Chocolate Ganache– Make a creamy chocolate ganache and cover the top of the cake with ganache. Make a ganache drip effect for a prettier cake!
- Whipped Cream– Top with curled whipped cream.
- Chocolate Shavings– Milk chocolate or white chocolate shavings over the top and side of the cake.
- Piped Frosting– Save some of the frosting and pipe designs over the top of the cake.
- Chocolate Chips– Chocolate chip morsels sprinkled all over the cake is always a great idea!
- Chocolate Drizzle– Drizzle the top of the cake with white chocolate or milk chocolate drizzle.
DECOR TIP– Combine some of these topping ideas for the ultimate decoration and have fun with your design!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes! You can make the frosting and the chocolate cake layers up to 2 days in advance and then assemble and enjoy!
You do not have to toast the almonds, but we do recommend using toasted almonds for extra flavor!
You can totally opt-out of the almonds for decor.
Store the cake in the fridge, covered tightly to avoid the cake from drying out. It will keep for up to 3-4 days.
We do not recommend freezing this strawberry cake.
Yes! We love making this recipe with raspberries or a mixture of raspberries and strawberries for more flavor!
OTHER CAKE RECIPES-
- Carrot Cake Recipe
- Tiramisu Recipe
- Easy Banana Cake Recipe
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Honey Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Spartak Recipe
Layered Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- 16 oz strawberries, minus 4
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- chocolate shavings
- 4 strawberries, from earlier
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
How to bake chocolate cake-
- Preheat oven to 365˚F.
- Prepare two 9-inch. Cover pans with parchment paper, butter pans and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar and beat for about 20 minutes on high.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder and cocoa. Set aside.
- Turn the mixer to lowest speed and slowly add the flour. Once added, turn of mixer and just finish mixing with spatula, don't over beat or else the mixture will flatten.
- Pour the mixture between the two pans. Bake 18-20, check center of cake for readiness with a toothpick.
How to toast the almonds:
- Take the sliced almonds, and spread them evenly in a baking sheet. Bake in a 365˚F preheated oven for about 5 minutes or until golden in color. Set aside to cool.
How to make the strawberry puree:
- Quarter the strawberries. Blend with the heavy whipping cream and sugar until all strawberries are in small pieces but not completely pureed. Set aside.
How to make the cream:
- Beat cream cheese; add powdered sugar, condensed milk and butter, beat until smooth at med speed. Turn mixer to low and add the cool whip.
How to assemble the strawberry cake:
- Once layers are cooled, cut in half. Take the first layer and set onto your platter. Completely cover the layer with the strawberry puree. (The puree will not be added to the top layer therefore the it should be divided evenly between the first 3 layers.)
- Take a second layer and before adding it to the first layer cover it with cream.
- Gently take the layer and flip it over as you are putting it onto the first layer, the puree will meet with the cream.
- Do this to all four layers. Cover top and sides with cream.
- Take the almonds, and crush them in a storage plastic bag, set aside.
- Coat side of cake with crushed almonds.
- Thinly slice remaining strawberries, lay around top of cake.
- Add chocolate shavings in the middle of cake.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.