The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe made with layers of moist chocolate cake and a rich dulce de leche cream and topped with crushed wafers. The cake is so easy to make and tastes wonderful!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This chocolate cake is SO GOOD! The cake layers are so soft and moist and once the dulce de leche cream penetrates into the layers, it’s so rich. If you like chocolate, you need to give this homemade cake a try.
how to make the best chocolate cake recipe-
- Prepare two baking pans.
- Prepare cake layers: Beat together eggs and sugar on high for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked condensed milk and sour cream and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa.
- Slow add in flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Evenly divide batter and bake. Once layers are cooled, cut each cake in half so you will have four layers.
- Prepare the cream: Beat butter, once smooth slowly add in the dulce de leche.
- Assemble cake– Add the first layer on the tray. Top with cream.
- Continue with the remaining layers. Cover the top and sides of the cake with cream.
- Crush the chocolate wafers until they are very fine.
- Generously cover the top of the cake with some wafers.
- For decor, drizzle some of the cream over top of the cake, this is optional.
- Enjoy, friends.
Though the cake looks really simple, you WILL be impressed with the taste of it. It’s so so good.
other desserts to try:
- Coffee Roulade– Moist coffee cake with a rich cream.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread– The best banana bread with sweet chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies– Crunchy cookies with chocolate chip morsels.
- Nutella Rice Krispie Treats– Amazing rice Krispie treats.
Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 14 oz dulce de leche
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 3/4 cup chocolate wafers
- Beat eggs and sugar at high speed for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime in a bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup dulce de leche and the sour cream to the eggs/sugar and mix about half a minute. The remaining will be used for the cream.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl. Mix about a minute.
- Once completely cooled, cut each cake in half so you will have four layers.
Prepare the cream-
- Beat the butter at medium speed for a minute. Turn the speed down to low and slowly add the dulce de leche. (1 can plus the remaining unused can of dulce de leche from the batter).
- Place the bottom part of one of the cake and this will be 1st layer. Set it down same way as is with the part that was cut facing up. Spread a generous portion of the cream.
- Place the 2nd layer with the top facing down and the middle part facing up. Cover with cream. Repeat with remaining layers and cream.
- Reserve about two tablespoon of cream so it can be used for decor, this is optional.
- Chop 1 3/4 cups chocolate waters. Grind or blend wafers until they are very fine.
- Generously cover the top of cake with the some wafers.
- Place the leftover cream in a small Ziploc, snip off an edge of the bag and drizzle atop cake. I just make zigzag lines sideways.