The classic Russian Napoleon Cake is made with thin layers of puff pastry sheets and a sweet creamy filling topped with fresh fruit. The ultimate cake to enjoy anytime!
I love working with puff pastry, especially when it comes to making desserts like this layered Napoleon cake. The crispy and flaky pastry layers in between a sweet cream topped with fresh fruit come together to make the best cake!
The balance of flavors between the pastry layers, marshmallow cream, and fresh fruit is truly amazing. You can use whatever fruit you have on hand or whatever your favorite combination of fruit are.
how to make layered napoleon cake-
- Thaw the pastry sheets. TIP: Work with one sheet at a time while keeping the other sheets refrigerated.
- Dust the countertop with flour, layout sheet and dust top of the sheet with flour (so it’s easier to roll out the sheet).
- Cut the pastry sheet into three strips.
- Roll out each section into about 9×12 rectangle and poke the top with a fork for even baking. TIP: The sheets will be really thin.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes or until sheets are golden in color. Bake 2 sheets at a time.
- Repeat process with the next two sections (keeping last two refrigerated). You will have six layers in total.
- Cool completely before assembling.
prepare the napoleon cream-
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add condensed milk, powdered sugar, and marshmallow puff creme; beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Lastly, add cool whip; beat on low speed.
assemble the cake-
- Once layers have cooled, trim edges so they are straight. Crush what was cut-off and set aside to use for decor.
- Add the first layer on the cake tray and cover it with cream. Repeat with all of the layers. Cover top and sides with remaining cream.
- Cover the sides and around the edges on top with the leftover crumbs or the entire cake can be covered with the crumbs.
- Add your favorite berries or fruit to the top center.
NOTE: If you are making this the night before, you can add the fresh fruit before serving. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
I hope you enjoy making this Classic Napoleon Cake Recipe! You’ll be surprised how delicious the unusual marshmallow cream is with the cake layers.
other favorite layered cakes:
- Layered Sponge Cake– Soft and airy sponge cake made with fruits.
- Timur’s Chocolate Cake– A sweet and crispy rich meringue layered cake.
- Chocolate Spartak Cake– Thing chocolate cake layers and a rich cream.
- Dust countertop with flour. Add sheet and dust top with flour. Cut sheet into three strips (refrigerate the third one). Work with two at a time, keeping the rest refrigerated.
- Roll out each section into about 9"x12" rectangle. Poke top with a fork for even baking.
- Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes, until golden in color.
- Repeat process with the next two sections and finally the last two. Cool sheets completely before assembling.
- Prepare cream. Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add condensed milk, powdered sugar, and marshmallow puff creme; beat until incorporated. Last, add cool whip; beat on low speed.
- Assemble cake. Once layers have cooled, trim edges so they are straight and crush for decor.
- Add the first layer onto a cake stand, cover with cream. Repeat with all of the layers. Cover top and sides with remaining cream.
- Coat the sides and around the edges on top of the cake with the leftover crumbs or the entire cake can be covered with the crumbs.
- Add favorite berries or fruit to the top center. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Keep refrigerated.