This classic Russian Napoleon Cake is made with thin puff pastry layers and a rich sweet cream then topped with fresh berries.
how to make napoleon cake-
If you want a stunning cake but don’t want to make your bake your own layers, this Napoleon Cake Recipe is a great idea! Layers of store-bought puff pastry sheets rolled out thin with a sweet cream between the layers.
Not only is this cake so stunning, it’s not hard to make at all, just a little time-consuming but worth all the work.
make the layers:
- Thaw sheets- You’ll want to place your pastry sheets overnight or a few hours in advance so the pastry sheets may thaw. Don’t use frozen sheets.
- Cut pastry- On a floured surface lay out the sheets and cut them into three strips where the indents are from the packaging.
- Roll out– Now take one strip at a time and roll it out to about 9”x12” size and with a fork poke holes everywhere for even baking. (The sheets will be really thin and that is what we want.)
- Bake sheets- Bake the sheets 2 at a time for 6-8 minutes, until golden in color.
- Bake all sheets- Continue baking two sheets at a time keeping the rest refrigerated, you’ll have six sheets total.
- Cool layers- Cool the layers.
make cake cream-
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the condensed milk, powdered sugar, and marshmallow puff cream; beat until incorporated.
- Add the cool whip and fold it in with a spatula.
|The classic cream used in a Napoleon Cake is custard cream. If that is what you want, you can use the custard cream we have in THIS recipe, just double the portion.|
assemble the cake-
And now the fun part! Let’s assemble the cake!
- Once the layers have cooled, trim the edge so they are all straight. Add the leftover pieces and crush them in a bag.
- Spread some cream over the platter to keep the cake from moving. Add a layer and cover with cream. Continue until all the layers and cream are used up.
- Cover the sides and the top with the leftover crumbs. Allow cake to sit at least 2 hours at room temp or refrigerate for 4 hours. Add berries and enjoy.
If you are having a party, this cake is great to make in advance.
- 1-day in advance: If you are making the cake one day in advance, just follow the instructions cover it tightly, and refrigerate. Then, top with berries before serving.
- 2 or 3 days early: Bake the layers, cool them, and keep them tightly refrigerated. Prepare the cream and keep refrigerated. Then just assemble and allow the cake to set.
- Refrigerator- Keep the cake covered tightly and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Freeze- The cake may easily be frozen. Cover tightly and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge and enjoy.
more cakes to try-
Napoleon Cake Recipe
- 1 lb package puff pastry, thawed (pepperidge farms, 2 sheets)
- Dust countertop with flour. Add sheet and dust top with flour. Cut a sheet into three sections (rifrigerate the third one). Work with two at a time, keeping the rest refrigerated.
- Roll out each section into about 9"x12" rectangle. Poke top with a fork for even baking.
- Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes, until golden in color.
- Repeat process with the next two sections and finally the last two. Cool sheets completely before assembling.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add condensed milk, powdered sugar, and marshmallow puff creme; beat until incorporated. Last, add cool whip; beat on low speed.
- Once layers have cooled, trim edges so they are straight and crush or decor.
- Add the first layer onto a cake stand, cover with cream. Repeat with all of the layers. Cover top and sides with remaining cream.
- Coat the sides and around the edges on top of the cake with the leftover crumbs or the entire cake can be covered with the crumbs.
- Dust with posted sugar. Keep refrigerated at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- Top with berries before serving.