This cream Cheese Danish Recipe is SO EASY to make and is great for breakfast or dessert! Crispy and flakey puff pastry filled with a sweetened cream cheese filling in a danish, baked then drizzled with a sugar glaze, so simple yet so delicious!
CHEESE DANISH RECIPE-
Who doesn’t love a flakey cheese danish, especially if it is homemade! The combination of the crunchy and flakey pastry with the creamy and sweet filling is the perfect treat to enjoy any time of the day.
This dessert is so easy to make and enjoyed even by the pickiest eaters.
- Puff pastry – you want to use a good quality store bought puff pastry dough, we love using the Pepperidge Farms brand.
- Cream cheese – use softened cream cheese so it’s easier to mix.
- Sugar – granulated sugar works great.
- Vanilla -add flavor!
- Egg wash– just an egg and water, whisked.
- Glaze – milk and powdered sugar make up the glaze.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE DANISH-
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cream Cheese Mixture– In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.
- Cut puff pastry– Divide the pastry sheets into squares.
- Assemble– Add filling to the squares and secure. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake– Bake the danishes until golden brown.
- Sugar Glaze– Make glaze, and drizzle over cooled danishes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
No, you can totally opt-out of the sugar glaze if you do not want to add glaze to the pastries.
Yes, add more flavor to this pastry. You can add fresh fruit on top of the cream cheese when assembling the pastries.
Yes! Add your favorite jams along with the cream cheese for more flavors!
We do not recommend freezing these pastries.
Yes! You can prepare the cream cheese mixture ahead of time and shape them and store them in the fridge. When ready just bake and drizzle with glaze and enjoy!
Store these pastries in an airtight container at room temp or in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
MORE PASTRY DESSERTS-
Store-bought pastry sheets make for the best quick desserts. Here are some amazing dessert recipes to try:
- Puff Pastry Wreath
- Cheesecake Puff Pastry Tart
- Cherry Hand Pies
- Cherry Pastry Cake
- Pastry Triangles
- Napoleon Cake Recipe
Cream Cheese Danish Recipe
- 17.3 oz puff pastry sheets thawed (1 pack)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- In a bowl, cream together the room temp cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Unfold pastry sheets and cut 9 squares. Repeat with the second sheet.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly among the 18 squares and place in the middle.
- Bring two opposite corners to the middle over the cream cheese and fold together and pinch to seal. Repeat with all the danishes.
- Add to the baking sheet and brush to tops with the egg wash. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Once cooked, allow the pastries to cool.
- Combine milk and powdered sugar until a thick glaze forms.
- Drizzle over the cooled pastries and serve.