This Cherry Pastry Cake is so easy to make and is so beautiful when served. The flakey pastry sheets are filled with cherries layered with a delicate cream. Such a wonderful cake for parties.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
cherry pastry cake-
Puff pastry sheets filled with cherry pie filling, sealed and baked. The logs are then smothered in a unique cream and topped with chocolate shavings. Though the cake looks intimidating and hard to do, it’s really easy and is so beautiful when served.
This is a great recipe to make in advance for parties!
how to make cherry pastry cake-
Though the instructions may lengthy, the cake is rather easy to make.
- Thaw pastry sheets. You can place the sheets in the refrigerator overnight to thaw as well.
- Preheat oven to 365°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour working area and roll out pastry sheet to about 10×13″.
- Cut the pastry sheet into four even strips.
- Arrange the cherry filling in the center of the strips. Fold the puff pastry sheet, and pinch the edges sealing the cherries inside. Gently transfer onto the baking sheet. NOTE: Some of the filling may ooze out during baking, no worries. Just tuck it back in once you take it out of the oven.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until the sheets are very golden. (TIP: DO NOT open oven during baking or else sheets with flatten and will not be fluffy.)
- In a bowl, add the marshmallow puff, butter, condensed milk and cream cheese and beat on low speed until creamy.
- Add the cool whip into the mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Spread some of the cream on the bottom of the cake platter. Place 5 or 6 of the logs close together. Add cream over top of the layer.
- Continue adding layers of strips, creating a pyramid shape cake and spreading cream between each layer.
- Once the cake is layered and stacked, trim edges on either side of the cake so they are even. Coat sides with remaining cream.
- Decorate the cake with shaved chocolate or decor of choice.
Enjoy this classic Russian cake recipe. This makes a really large cake, it’s great for parties. To make a smaller cake, just cut the puff pastry in half and prepare a smaller cake.
try these other CAKE recipes:
- Pastry Cake with Fruits– So easy and light.
- Layered Coconut Cake Recipe– For the coconut fans.
- Layered Chocolate Strawberry Cake– Great for parties.
- Chocolate Cake Recipe– Chocolate overload.
Cherry Pastry Cake
- 3 puff pastry sheets
- 42 oz cherry pie filling
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 365°F.
- Completely thaw the pastry sheets. Lightly flour the working surface, roll out one sheet to about 10”x13” (keep the remaining sheets refrigerated).
- Cut the pastry sheet into four even strips, lengthwise.
- Place the cherry filling into the center of the strips. Bring the edges together and with a fork close tightly, tuck the pinched edges under. Gently transfer onto the baking sheet.
- Bake 25-35 minutes until sheets are golden in color. DO NOT open the oven during baking (the sheets with flatten and will not puff up).
- Allow the logs to completely cool before assembling the cake.
- Prepare the cream. In a bowl add the marshmallow puff, butter, condensed milk and cream cheese. Beat until creamy.
- Turn speed to low and mix in the cool whip.
- Add some cream to the bottom of the platter. Place 5-6 strips close together and generously add cream (do not add cream to the edges, that will be done last).
- Add four more strips and add more cream.
- Add the remaining strips and more cream. Trim both sides of the cake for even edges. Cover edges with remaining cream.
- Decorate with shaved chocolate or choice of decor.