Learn how to make the perfect Classic Vanilla Cupcake Recipe from scratch! Moist and fluffy cupcakes packed with vanilla flavor and so easy to make and topped with your favorite frosting.
VANILLA CUPCAKE RECIPE-
Cupcakes are great to serve during events like birthday parties, holidays, or even family gatherings! This homemade cupcake batter gives you the BEST soft, fluffy, and moist cupcakes everyone will love.
The cupcakes are great with just about any frosting making it a go-to cupcake base for so many cupcakes recipes.
You need simple staple kitchen ingredients for cupcakes making it a recipe you can whip up quickly anytime.
- Flour– You want to use a good quality all-purpose flour. Measure out the flour then sift.
- Baking Powder– This is what is going to help the cupcakes rise and become fluffy!
- Salt– Balance the flavors!
- Butter– Gives the batter its soft and fluffiness, that perfect cupcake.
- Sugar– Use granulated sugar to sweeten the cupcake batter.
- Vanilla– Vanilla extract is used for flavor!
- Milk– This recipe calls for whole milk for extra moisture.
- Sour Cream– Adds moisture without thinning out the batter.
- Eggs– We used large eggs.
- Oil– Canola oil, vegetable or extra light olive oil may be used.
HOW TO MAKE CLASSIC CUPCAKES-
Making this vanilla cupcake recipe is easier than you think! Follow along and you will have the perfect batch of cupcakes!
- Prep– Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Dry ingredients– In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Wet ingredients– In a separate bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until creamy and fluffy. Add in the vanilla, milk, sour cream, eggs, and oil and combine until creamy.
- Combine– Add in the flour mixture and gently mix until combined. With a cookie scooper or ¼ measuring cup, divide the batter between the 18 cupcake liners.
- Bake– Bake the cupcakes at 350°F for about 16-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Frost– Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, top with the frosting then decorate and serve.
Chef’s Tip– Be sure not to overbake the cupcakes! To achieve the perfect batch of soft and fluffy cupcakes, make sure to not overbake them.
With this simple basic batter, the types of cupcake recipes you can make! Whether you use different frosting or topping ideas, you can make so many variations, such as:
- Filling Ideas– For different types of flavors, you can fill the cupcake with syrups or jams such as chocolate, caramel, raspberry jam, strawberry jam, or any other. All you need to do is just fill a piping bag with the filling of your choice and pipe the filling into the cupcakes.
- Frosting Ideas– You can top the cupcakes with any of your favorite frosting flavors and they will work!
- Topping Ideas– A simple way to or add flavor to your cupcake is with your choice of toppings. You can use fruit, crushed candy, sprinkles, syrups, fruit, and more.
CUPCAKE FROSTING IDEAS-
You want to make sure you use the BEST frosting to top your cupcakes! Here are some of our favorite frosting ideas:
- Vanilla Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting- We love THIS homemade vanilla frosting.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting– Add THIS homemade chocolate buttercream frosting.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
This cupcake batter makes enough to make 18 cupcakes, enough for one cupcake liner.
Yes, once the cupcakes are cooled, you can freeze these without frosting! Add the cupcakes into a container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use thaw in the fridge overnight.
Store these cupcakes either naked or frosted! Store the cupcakes for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container at room temp or in the fridge.
Yes! This batter can be made with the mini cupcake pan, the bake time will be less!
MORE DESSERT RECIPES:
Classic Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until creamy and fluffy. Add in the vanilla, milk, sour cream, eggs, and oil and mix until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and gently mix until combined. With a cookie scooper or ¼ measuring cup, divide the batter between the 18 cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350°F for about 16-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, top with the frosting then decorate and serve.