A homemade recipe for the BEST Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting! This rich and creamy chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe is great for simple vanilla cupcakes, cakes, and macarons.
CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING-
This recipe makes the most delicious chocolate buttercream frosting! The cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar combined with the cocoa powder create a rich and flavorful frosting.
You will not believe how easy this homemade buttercream is to make. With only 5 basic ingredients, you can have this frosting whipped up in minutes
- Cream Cheese– Use a good quality full-fat cream cheese, we love using the Philadelphia brand. Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature for easier mixing.
- Butter– This recipe calls for room temperature unsalted butter.
- Vanilla– Vanilla extract is used to add flavor!
- Sugar– You want to use powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) as the sweetener.
- Cocoa– Unsweetened cocoa powder is the KEY ingredient to this frosting as it gives the frosting its rich chocolate flavor.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE FROSTING-
- Combine cream cheese + sugar: In an electric stand mixer or bowl, cream together the room temp butter and cream cheese on medium speed.
- Add vanilla + sugar: Mix the mixture until the mixture is creamy and slightly fluffy. Add in the vanilla, powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix on high heat. Beat the mixture until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate: Refrigerate until ready to pipe.
STORING THE FROSTING-
It is important to store the cream cheese frosting properly for best results!
- Storing in the Fridge– Store the chocolate frosting in an airtight container or in the piping bag in the fridge. This frosting can be stored in the fridge for up to a week! When ready to use, just bring it to room temp for easier piping.
- Storing in the Freezer– This frosting freezes GREAT! Just add the frosting into a plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, to avoid melting, keep the frosting in the fridge. Refrigerate whatever you frost in the fridge as well.
For the BEST flavors, we recommend you use unsweetened cocoa powder to control the flavor.
If you want your frosting thicker, just slowly add more powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add one tablespoon at a time.
HOW TO USE THIS CHOCOLATE FROSTING-
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Chocolate Meringue Cake
- Italian Macarons
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake
- Nutella Cake
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Once the mixture is creamy and slightly fluffy, add in the vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder and beat the mixture until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate until ready to pipe.