Timur’s Chocolate Meringue Cake recipe will become a favorite! Layers of walnut meringue with a rich chocolate rum cream, topped with chocolate shavings. Everything you could ask for in a cake, especially the chocolate lovers.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
chocolate meringue cake-
This recipe is like nothing you’ve tried before, I promise. Crunchy walnut meringue with a rich butter rum cream that’s then topped with chocolate shavings. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and absolutely DELICIOUS!
how to make a layered chocolate meringue cake-
Prepare the cake layers. Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy then slowly add sugar and mix until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir in the chopped walnuts.
Divide mixture between four pans and bake. TIP: If you don’t have four cake pans, I’d highly recommend doing half the mixture and baking then preparing the second one and bake.
Prepare the cream. Beat the butter until creamy, add in the condensed milk, cocoa, and rum. Beat just until combined, don’t overbeat. Refrigerate the cream until ready to use.
Assemble the cake. Once the cake layers have completely cooled, assemble the cake. Place the first layer on a cake platter, top with cream. Continue with the remaining layers. Generously spread the remaining cream over top and sides of the cake.
You can decorate the cake how you like, I added chocolate shavings to the sides of the cake and melted chocolate for the top and created a design.
Since the main ingredient in the cream is butter, it’s best to keep the cake refrigerated until it’s ready to be served.
The cake might seem complicated, it truly isn’t. The hardest part is waiting for the layers to bake and then cool. Once that’s done, you’re good to go.
Once you give this recipe a try, I promise, this cake will become a favorite!
This cake is so beautiful and tall once baked and assembled. It makes for a great dessert choice for the Holidays. This cake is very rich and I’d advise cutting the pieces smaller, you can always have seconds.
Timur's Chocolate Meringue Cake Recipe
- 8 eggs whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 3 sticks unsalted butters, room temp
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Tbsp Hershey’s cocoa
- 1 Tbsp rum or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate, melted
- chocolate shavings
- Prepare (4) 8-inch baking pans by lining with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 320°F.
- Beat egg whites until glossy. Slowly add in the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Meanwhile, chop the walnuts. With a spatula or wooden spoon, slowly add the walnuts to the egg whites.
- Divide between the pans and bake for 1 hour. Slightly open the oven door and allow the meringues to cool before removing from the oven (about 1/2 hour). Run a sharp thin knife around the edges to separate any of the meringue stuck to pan.
- While layers are baking, prepare the cream.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add in the condensed milk, rum, and cocoa and beat again just until everything is incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once cakes are baked and COMPLETELY cooled, assemble the cakes.
- Gently flip the first layer upside down. Slowly remove the parchment paper.
- Add a generous portion of cream. Repeat with remaining layers and cream. Coat top and sides of the cake with remaining cream.
- Decorate as desired. I added chocolate shavings to the side of the cake and melted chocolate for a design for top.
- For the top, melt the chocolate. Add the chocolate to the side of a Ziploc bag, snip the corner with scissors. Make 4 round circles on top of the cake.
- Take a knife and start at the circle closest to the edge slowly bring the knife down to the middle. The chocolate will follow with your knife. Go slow. Do this all the way around the cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.