Though this no-bake Eclair Cake recipe is so easy to make, it tastes wonderful! Layers of graham crackers between a sweet vanilla pudding cream then drizzled with chocolate.
It’s the perfect dessert recipe that requires no baking!
There are days I just don’t want to bake but need dessert. That’s when we go with a No-Bake Dessert like this one or our No-Bake Cheesecake and delicious Spartak Cake.
This cake is like an eclair minus all the work you put into one. The layers of graham crackers softened by the creamy vanilla pudding give you so much flavor in every bite!
Here are the easy ingredients needed for an eclair cake.
- GRAHAM CRACKERS– You want to use the honey graham crackers, we like to use the Honey Maid brand. For a cholate version, use chocolate graham crackers.
- INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING– This recipe calls for instant french vanilla pudding, you can also use cheesecake instant pudding.
- MILK– The key to this recipe is COLD milk, you can use whole milk or 2% milk.
- CREAM CHEESE– Be sure the cream cheese is at room temp for easy mixing.
- COOL WHIP-You can use original cool whip, sugar free cool whip, or light cool whip.
- GANACHE– For the ganache we use chopped milk chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream. You can totally opt out of the ganache altogether.
HOW TO MAKE ECLAIR CAKE-
You will not believe how simple and fast this graham cracker dessert comes together!
- MAKE CREAM– In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the instant vanilla pudding mix and milk until creamy and thick. Add in the creamed cream cheese and cool whip and mix until combined.
- ASSEMBLE CAKE– Add a small amount of pastry cream to the bottom of your cake platter. Add four graham crackers on top of the custard cream in a row.
- Top with crackers with cream. Repeat this process until you have six layers. Cover the sides and tops of the cake with the remaining pudding mixture.
- DECORATE CAKE– You should have 3 graham crackers left, crush the crackers and use to cover the sides and final top layer of graham crackers.
- GANACHE– In a saucepan, over low heat, melt the chocolate and whisk in the cream until a thick and creamy ganache has appeared. Allow the ganache to cool.
- Drizzle the chocolate glaze on top of the cake. Refrigerate at least two hours or until graham cracker layers have softened.
Pro TIP: You can also make the eclair cake in a baking dish or rimmed pan and serve it that way.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, when serving this cake for events I like to top the cake with the ganache and fresh fruit for a prettier look!
You can substitute the chocolate ganache for chocolate frosting. Just add a layer of chocolate frosting on top of the layers. Or just opt out of the chocolate part completely, but we like the flavor the chocolate gives.
This delicious chocolate eclair cake will last for up to 2-3 days in the fridge!
You want to tightly cover the cake to avoid drying and store it in the fridge.
Yes, you want to make it ahead of time to allow the layers to soften. Makeup to 24 hours ahead of time.
This no-bake eclair cake freezes great! Cover tightly and freeze for up to 2 months.
To thaw, allow thawing overnight in the fridge.
You can make this a little healthier by using sugar-free instant pudding and sugar-free cool whip.
Yes! You can use homemade whipped cream.
You want this to chill for at least a couple of hours before serving. You want the graham layers to soften and soak into the vanilla pudding cream.
Yes, you can use different flavors of instant pudding such as chocolate or cheesecake pudding. We also like to use cinnamon or graham crackers sometimes to switch up the flavors.
MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES-
- Chocolate Oreo Pudding
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Rice Krispies Treats
- Tiramisu Cake Recipe
- Black Forest No Bake Cheesecake
- Oreo Truffles Balls
- Peanut Butter Mousse Parfait
No Bake Éclair Cake Recipe
- 14.4 oz graham crackers
- 5.1 oz instant vanilla pudding
- 1 3/4 cups cold milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 8 oz cool whip
- 1/2 cup chopped milk chocolate
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy. Add cream cheese to the pudding, mix just until cream cheese is incorporated. Add the cool whip, beat again.
- Refrigerate until ready to assemble the cake.
- Place a mixing bowl over a double boiler, bring water to a boil. Add heavy whipping cream and milk chocolate to the bowl. Keep mixing until the chocolate begins to melt. Remove from heat and continue mixing until there are no chunks of chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- Spread a small amount of cream over a platter.
- Add four graham crackers in a row. Cover generously with cream. Repeat until you have six layers.
- Cover top and sides of cake with remaining cream.
- Take the 3 leftover crackers and finely crush.
- Coat sides and top with the graham crackers.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the cake.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate. The cake is best if eaten the same day.