This Green Bean Casserole Recipe is amazing! The dish is loaded with fresh green beans and sauteed mushrooms smothered in a creamy sauce and topped with shredded cheese and homemade fried onions.
green bean casserole-
This casserole from scratch is going to become a favorite! Tender fresh green beans combined with sauteed mushrooms and onion in a creamy mixture, topped with shredded cheese and homemade onion strings. The creamy sauce compliments the green beans and brings out the mushrooms making it the perfect side dish everyone will love.
How to make Green Bean Casserole-
- GREEN BEANS– Trim the edges of the beans and blanch the green beans for 10-15 minutes.
- MUSHROOMS– Saute the mushrooms with onion on tender and fully cooked.
- SAUCE– In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the sauce.
- ONION RINGS– Prepare the homemade onion rings. (TIP: You can use store-bought onions rings.)
- PREPARE CASSEROLE– In a casserole dish, combine the blanched green beans and sauteed mushrooms. Pour the sauce into the dish and mix. Top with onion rings and cheese.
- BAKE– Cover casserole dish with foil and bake until golden and bubbly.
Can I use canned beans?
Though fresh green beans perform best in this casserole, canned beans may be used. To use canned beans, just drain the water and continue with the recipe. DON’T cook the green beans.
What cheese should I use?
Use your favorite mixed cheese! Colby Jack, a combination of Mild Cheddar and Mozzarella will work, or Four Cheese, all of these are great options for this easy casserole recipe!
CAN I PREPARE CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
This creamy green bean casserole recipe is GREAT to prepare ahead of time! Just make the recipe according to instruction up until baking. Cover and refrigerate and then just bake and serve when ready! (TIP: Don’t add the onion rings until ready to bake, because the onion rings will become soggy.)