The ultimate homemade Green Bean Casserole Recipe! Green beans and sauteed mushrooms smothered in a creamy sauce topped with shredded cheese and crispy fried onions.
The casserole dish will be a great addition to your Thanksgiving table alongside your Turkey and homemade Cranberry Sauce.
BEST GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE recipe-
We love this easy and creamy green bean casserole dish, it truly is the BEST recipe! The tender green beans with sauteed mushrooms in the creamy sauce along with the crunchy onions, the taste is SO GOOD! This is our go-to holiday side dish.
- Green beans– For this recipe we like to use fresh green beans.
- Mushrooms– You can use white or brown button mushrooms or portobello mushrooms. If you do not like mushrooms you can leave them out completely.
- Onion– In this recipe, we saute the mushrooms with onions for added flavor!
- Cheese– You can use any shredded cheese you prefer, cheddar cheese, mexican cheese, or any other go-to shredded cheese.
- Onion strings– We use our homemade crispy onion strings for this recipe but you can also just use store bought onion strings.
- Creamy sauce– For the creamy sauce we use cream of chicken soup, sour cream, water and seasoning.
- Seasoning– We use salt, paprika, and black pepper but you can also add you favorite seasonings.
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE-
This classic dish is so easy to make and with just 15 minutes of prep time, you can have this dish baking in no time!
- Green beans– Trim the edges of the beans and boil the green beans to blanch.
- Mushrooms– In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms with onion with butter on medium-high heat until tender and golden brown.
- Sauce– In a large bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Onion strings– Prepare the homemade french fried onions, skip step if using store-bought onion rings.
- Assemble casserole– In a baking dish, combine the blanched green beans and sauteed mushrooms. Pour the sauce into the dish and mix. Top with onion rings and shredded cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Bake– Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake until golden and bubbly.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Though fresh green beans perform best in this casserole, canned beans may be used. To use canned beans, just drain the water and continue with the recipe. You don’t need to blanch the canned beans.
Yes, just blanch them for a little longer to allow them to thaw.
Use your favorite mixed cheese! Colby Jack, a combination of Mild Cheddar and Mozzarella, or Four Cheese. All of these cheeses are great options for this easy casserole recipe!
This creamy green bean casserole recipe is GREAT to prepare ahead of time! Follow instructions up until baking, cover with foil and refrigerate. Bake when ready to serve.(TIP: Don’t add the onion rings until ready to bake, because the onion rings will become soggy.)
Yes, you can use cream of mushroom soup for this recipe also.
No, we do not recommend that you freeze this casserole.
Just add the green bean casserole into the oven and bake until reheated. Or, reheat on the stovetop over low heat.
OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES:
Side dishes always complete the main entree for any meal. Here are some other popular side dishes:
- Creamy Asparagus Recipe
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Roasted Vegetable Recipe
The Best Green Bean Casserole
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 12 oz white mushrooms, trimmed
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Mexican four cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 batch of fried onion strings
- 21 oz cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp ground pepper, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground paprika
- Align the green beans with the stem facing in one direction. Cut off the stems. (Green beans may be cut in half if desired.)
- Add green beans to a large pot. Cover completely with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain beans and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Prepare a batch of the crispy onion rings.
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Finely chop the onion.
- In a skillet, heat 2 Tbsp oil. Saute mushrooms with onions until golden.
- Add the mushrooms/onions to the green beans and mix well. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the sauce and add to the casserole dish and mix.
- Sprinkle the cheese on over everything. Add fried onions to the edges of the dish.
- Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes in a preheated oven to 375°F. Remove foil, bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes until cream bubbles and cheese completely melts.