The ultimate homemade Green Bean Casserole Recipe! Green beans and sauteed mushrooms smothered in a creamy sauce topped with shredded cheese and crispy fried onions.
Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
We love this easy and creamy green bean casserole dish; it truly is the BEST recipe! The tender green beans with sauteed mushrooms in the creamy sauce and crunchy onions are our go-to holiday side dish.
- Green beans– We like to use fresh green beans for this recipe.
- Mushrooms– You can use white or brown button mushrooms or portobello mushrooms. If you do not like mushrooms, you can leave them out altogether.
- Onion– In this recipe, we saute the mushrooms with onions for added flavor!
- Cheese– You can use any shredded cheese, cheddar cheese, Mexican cheese, or any other go-to shredded cheese.
- Onion strings– We use our homemade crispy onion strings for this recipe but you can also use store bought onion strings.
- Creamy sauce– For the creamy sauce, we use cream of chicken soup, sour cream, water, and seasoning.
- Seasoning- We use salt, paprika, and black pepper, but you can also add your favorite seasonings.
How to Make Green Bean Casserole:
This classic dish is so easy to make, and with just 15 minutes of prep time, you can have this dish baking in no time!
- Green beans– Trim the edges of the beans and boil the green beans to blanch.
- Mushrooms– In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms with onion and butter on medium-high heat until tender and golden brown.
- Sauce– In a large bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Onion strings– Prepare the homemade french fried onions; skip this step if using store-bought onion rings.
- Assemble casserole– Combine the blanched green beans and sauteed mushrooms in a baking dish. Pour the sauce into the dish and mix. Top with onion rings shredded cheese, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake– Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake until golden and bubbly.
Fresh green beans perform best in this casserole, so canned beans may be used. To use canned beans, drain the water and continue with the recipe. You don’t need to blanch the canned beans.
Yes, blanch them a little longer to allow them to thaw.
Use your favorite mixed cheese! Colby Jack combines Mild Cheddar and Mozzarella, or Four Cheese. All of these cheeses are great options for this easy casserole recipe!
This creamy green bean casserole recipe is GREAT to prepare ahead of time! Follow instructions up until baking, cover with foil, and refrigerate. Bake when ready to serve.(TIP: Don’t add the onion rings until ready to bake because the onion rings will become soggy.)
Yes, you can use cream of mushroom soup for this recipe also.
No, we do not recommend that you freeze this casserole.
Just add the green bean casserole into the oven and bake until reheated. Or reheat on the stovetop over low heat.
Other Side Dish Recipes:
The Best Green Bean Casserole
- Align the green beans with the stem facing in one direction. Cut off the stems. (Green beans may be cut in half if desired.)
- Prepare a batch of the crispy onion rings.
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Finely chop the onion.
- In a skillet, heat 2 Tbsp oil. Saute mushrooms with onions until golden.
- Add the mushrooms/onions to the green beans and mix well. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the sauce and add to the casserole dish and mix.
- Sprinkle the cheese on over everything. Add fried onions to the edges of the dish.
- Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes in a preheated oven to 375°F. Remove foil, bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes until cream bubbles and cheese completely melts.