The ULTIMATE step-by-step guide and tips on How to Cook a Turkey that is juicy, tender, and loaded with so flavor!
This is the perfect turkey to serve for Thanksgiving dinner and all year round!
How to Cook a Turkey-
There are many methods on how to cook a turkey. It can be grilled, smoked, or cooked in the oven. Cooking the turkey in the oven is the method we will be using in this post.
How to Thaw a Turkey-
The biggest tip in thawing a frozen turkey is giving it ample time! Allow one day in the fridge for every 4-5 pounds of turkey. Thawing the turkey in the refrigerator is the best place for it.
You don’t want to thaw the turkey at room temperature.
How many servings per pound of Turkey-
- The rule of thumb for turkey per person is 1 to 1 ½ pounds of turkey per person.
How to season a Turkey-
A turkey is pretty forgiving in the seasoning and tastes wonderful with any seasoning. You can use your favorite seasonings and it will taste wonderful. For a juicy turkey, be sure to use butter or oil to coat the turkey before seasoning, this will keep it from drying.
Stuffing for Turkey-
My favorite stuffing for the turkey is fresh lemon and lime with onion and garlic, it adds so much flavor to the bird. If you have fresh thyme or rosemary, add some to the stuffing along with the rest of the ingredients. A handful of parsley or cilantro is also wonderful.
- Remove the neck of the turkey.
- Remove giblets from the cavity of the turkey.
- Pat the turkey completely dry.
Properly secure legs and wings-
Fold the wings to secure them under the neck/body. Don’t tie the legs too tight, the breasts need to cook through.
TIPS FOR the juiciest Turkey-
We use this roasting pan with the rack when we are cooking the turkey.
- For a juicy and moist turkey, cook the turkey on a rack and add liquids to the bottom of the pan. Though this is a personal preference.
- Adding broth, fresh lemons and oil creates moisture in the pan and keeps the bird from drying and the aroma is phenomenal.
- If you don’t have a rack for the turkey, DON’T add the liquid to the bottom of the pan or the skin will not become crispy.
What temperature to cook a Turkey-
- Brown the turkey at 400°F for about 30 minutes, until the breast of the turkey is crispy and golden.
2. Then, reduce the temperature to 325°F. Cook an additional 3-4 hours or until turkey is fully cooked, measuring with an internal thermometer to 165°F.
Allow Turkey to rest-
Allowing the turkey to rest once it’s fully cooked allows the juices to penetrate resulting in juicy slices when carving.
Can Turkey be seasoned in advance?
Yes! You can prepare the turkey completely the night before or the morning of and just keep it covered and refrigerated. This is perfect for saving time if you are having a large party.
How to transfer a Turkey-
The best way to transfer the turkey to a platter is to insert a wooden spoon under the turkey and a second one under the neck of the turkey, then lift together and transfer.
Turkey bones and drippings-
- Don’t throw away the turkey bones. Freeze the bones then make organic broth using the bones.
- Don’t discard the pan drippings. Use it to make a homemade gravy!