This Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole is an easy oven-baked dinner recipe! It is filled with protein from the chicken, tender vegetables, and fluffy rice for a complete meal.
If you like simple baked casserole recipes, also try this Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole or a unique Vegetable Tilapia Casserole.
Chicken and Rice Casserole-
Chicken and Rice Casserole is a combination of tender chicken with veggies, baked in a bed of rice. It’s perfect for a comfort meal or for a weeknight when you don’t have time to stand over the stove. Plus, it’s made in one baking dish for minimal cleanup!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Quick prep. Prepped and ready for the oven in just 15 minutes.
- Loved by all. A family-friendly meal.
- Healthier baked. A healthy dish made with little oil, unlike traditional plov.
- Great grain. Rice contains healthy carbs and improves your metabolism!
Chicken and Rice Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients for this baked chicken and rice are super simple pantry staples.
- Chicken- you can use boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs. Both will be juicy once baked in the oven.
- Onion- adds flavor to the dish without overpowering it.
- Butter- for sauteeing the onion. You can also use olive or canola oil.
- Mushrooms- mushrooms add flavor and texture, but you can leave them out if you don’t like them.
- Carrots- julienned, giving the casserole flavor and texture.
- Peppers- finely sliced to allow them to soften in the oven.
- Rice- use uncooked, long-grain white rice, we use Uncle Ben’s brand for best results.
- Water- to cook the rice in.
- Chicken broth- adds great flavor to the rice, but you can substitute it with water if desired.
- Seasonings- kosher salt, black pepper, and Vegeta (or whatever seasoned salt you like) are all you need to achieve a flavorful casserole.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities see the recipe card below.
How to Make Baked Chicken and Rice
The chicken rice recipe requires minimal prep time and is ready for the oven in no time!
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Chop onion: Finely chop the onion.
- Prep chicken: Cut the chicken breasts or thighs into bite-size pieces.
- Saute onion: Add the butter and onion into a skillet. Saute until soft, then add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Saute on all sides until no longer pink. No need to cook through yet, as the chicken will cook further in the oven. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Prep and cook mushrooms: Quarter or slice the mushrooms and add to the same skillet. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Once the mushrooms are golden, transfer to the baking dish.
- Slice vegetables: Slice the carrot and pepper into thin strands. Transfer uncooked into the casserole dish.
- Add rice: Add the rinsed rice, water, and chicken broth to the baking dish. Mix everything together.
- Season: Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and Vegeta (or seasoned salt). Stir gently to distribute.
- Bake: Bake the chicken and rice with veggies for 40-50 minutes, mixing a couple of times during baking. TIP: Every oven is different. Check on the rice after 25-30 minutes if your oven runs hot.
- Serve and enjoy, friends!
Substitutions and Variations
You can switch the one-pan chicken and rice recipe up to fit your family’s preferences.
- Different veggies: You can use what vegetables you and your family prefer. Peas, green beans, or broccoli for a broccoli and rice casserole.
- Brown rice: Try making the recipe with basmati brown rice. Brown rice may have a longer cooking time, so bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Cover the casserole dish with foil for half the baking time, uncover, mix, and bake until cooked.
- Different meat: You can substitute beef or pork for chicken. Make sure to saute over high heat for a crisp finish before adding it to the dish. Optionally, add chopped ham or cooked sausage to the cooked dish for extra protein.
- Add cheese: If you like a cheesy casserole, add a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese to the casserole for the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
This chicken and rice dish is complete on its own, filled with protein, carbs, and veggies. However, you can pair it with a side if desired, here are some options:
- Salad: Serve with a side salad such as this Fresh Tomato Salad or with Corn Tomato Red Cabbage Salad.
- Pickles: Make a batch of Pickles for a satisfying crunch.
- Bread: You can’t go wrong with a side of bread like this Crispy Italian Bread or with Homemade Dinner Rolls.
No, bake the vegetables with chicken and rice casserole uncovered.
Since instant rice is partially precooked and then dehydrated, we do not recommend using it in this recipe. Use dry, uncooked rice for the best results.
You certainly can leave out the mushrooms if you have picky eaters!
You can prepare the dish in advance by cutting vegetables, sauteing chicken, onion, and mushrooms, and adding everything to the casserole dish. Cover the dish tightly and refrigerate until ready to bake. Add water and chicken broth just before baking per instructions.
Store & Reheat
- STORE: Store leftover rice in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.y0
- FREEZE: Cool the rice and chicken completely. Place into a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw completely and reheat before serving.
- REHEAT: Reheat in a skillet until heated through, or place in the microwave until warm.
More Casserole Recipes
If you enjoyed this baked casserole recipe, be sure to try our other popular Casseroles:
Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe (Rice Pilaf)
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast, bite-size pieces
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, thin strands
- 1/2 red pepper, thin strands
- 1 ½ cup uncooked rice, rinsed
- 1 ½ cup hot water
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, divided (or to taste)
- 1 tsp vegeta, ( or lawry's seasoning)
- Add butter and onion in a large skillet and sauté until tender.
- Add the chicken and season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook chicken just until cooked, carefuly not to over cook, transfer to the casserole dish.
- In the same skillet sauté the mushrooms until cooked and golden. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the carrot and pepper strands into the casserole dish (uncooked).
- Add the rice, water and chicken broth. Season with 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1 tsp Vegeta, and stir to combine.
- Baked in oven at 400°F for 40-50 minutes. Mix few times during baking.