This easy Baked Vegetable Chicken Rice recipe is a must-try. The one-pan meal is ready to go in the oven in just 15 minutes. This combination of rice, chicken, and vegetables baked together is phenomenal.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This baked chicken and rice casserole in the oven is such a great recipe. Sauteed chicken and mushrooms baked with rice and carrots and peppers, the combination of flavors is amazing. The rice is fluffy and not mushy, comes out perfect every time. With the vegetables being in the dish already, you don’t need an additional side dish.
This oven-baked rice with chicken is somewhere between a rice pilaf recipe and a plov recipe.
Can you use different Vegetables?
Yes, you can substitute for different vegetables. Broccoli, sweet peas, cauliflower, asparagus or even green beans are all great to use in the chicken and rice bake. Our kids don’t like any vegetables at all, so sometimes I will make this recipe with extra chicken and plain rice and serve it with a nice loaded salad. 🙂
Can you use Different Meat?
We like to use chicken breast or chicken thighs for this recipe. You want to make sure the chicken isn’t fully cooked in the skillet – it will finish cooking in the oven.
Pork may be substituted for the chicken. When sauteeing pork, give it a nice crispy finish (make sure skillet is hot before adding the meat). Continue with the pork per instructions.
Beef may also be substituted for the chicken. Cut beef pieces into smaller sizes than you would the chicken. Beef is tougher meat and smaller pieces will ensure end result for meat is tender.
What kind of Rice do you use for Chicken and Rice Casserole?
Any long grain rice will work in this recipe.
How to Bake Rice in the Oven-
When you cook rice on a stove top, often times the rice will not come out as desired. The rice will either be undercooked and unpleasant or, overcooked and mushy. That’s why learning to cook rice in the oven is such a great idea – the rice always comes out so beautifully. Each oven is slightly different so baking time may be a little different but the concept stays the same – oven baked rice is the way to go!
How to Prepare Chicken and Rice in Advance?
If you like to prepare dinner in advance, this baked chicken and rice is a great recipe to prep ahead of time. Cut all the vegetables and saute the chicken and mushrooms. Add everything to a casserole dish with the rice (minus the water and chicken broth), cover dish tightly. Refrigerate. Then, when you are ready to bake the rice, add the wet ingredients and bake as instructed.
Dinner is ready in no time and you can read a book or enjoy some quiet time doing homework with your kiddos instead of being in the kitchen, you’re welcome! 🙂
Benefits of rice:
- ENERGY- Rice contains carbohydrates, which keeps your body functioning, which gives the body energy (me like)
- DIET- rice doesn’t contain any harmful fats. Also has low levels of cholesterol and sodium (winner).
- METABOLISM- Improved metabolism (I really should be eating rice every day then, haha).
- There are many benefits of rice and most importantly it tastes PHENOMENAL!
How long do I bake the rice?:
All ovens are different and baking time will slightly vary, depending on your oven. Just keep an eye on your rice. Once the water starts to completely absorb into the rice, try a piece of rice. If rice is still really undercooked, cover it with foil to finish the baking so the rice bakes evenly. Record the baking time for your oven so you know how long to keep it baking for next time – there will be a next time, it’s great! 😉
Try these other RICE recipes:
Baked Vegetabke Chicken Rice
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb chicken breast, bite-size pieces
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, thin strands
- 1/2 red pepper, thin strands
- 1 ½ cup uncooked rice, rinsed
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp vegeta, ( or lawry's seasoning)
- Finely chop the onion.
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces.
- Peel and quarter mushrooms (or slice). In the same skillet sauté the mushrooms until fully cooked and golden. Lightly salt and pepper. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Cut the carrot and pepper into thin strands.
- Add the carrot and pepper strands into the casserole dish (uncooked).
- Add the rice, water and chicken broth.
- Mix all the ingredients. Season with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1 tsp favorite season, combine.
- Baked in oven at 400°F for 40-50 minutes. Mix few times during baking.