This Tomato Salad is the perfect recipe when fresh tomatoes are in season. Juicy tomatoes with red onion in an easy dressing.
The salad is bursting with so much flavor, is so easy to make with ingredients you most likely already have in your kitchen.
I think it’s safe to say when fresh tomatoes are in season, tomato salad is on repeat. Though I love a Caprese salad with cheese, this classic tomato salad is probably our most loved salad recipes.
The simplicity of the salad, combined with the garlic and dressing of vinegar and oil is the perfect summertime treat.
You can easily use any tomatoes that you have on hand with amazing results. The salad is impressive enough to bring to a pot luck and just as good as a side salad.
How to make a Tomato Salad-
The beauty of this recipe is the 5 minute prep time you need, so simple yet so delicious.
- Cut tomatoes– You want to either slice, cube, or quarter the tomatoes into even pieces.
- Cut onion– Slice onion in thin slices or cubes.
- Prep dressing– In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Whisk together the minced garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. You can add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve- Combine the salad, onions, and dressing. That’s it. SO QUICK.
Che’fs TIP: You don’t want to discard the juices from the tomatoes, they add so much flavor to the salad. Refrigerate any leftover salad and enjoy the following day.
|What herbs can I use? You can use your favorite herbs or a combination of fresh herbs. Basil, cilantro, or parsley will all work.|
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This salad goes so well with grilled meats! From chicken thighs, to the juicy shrimp or even pork chops – this tomato salad is an amazing side dish!
Other popular salads to try-
- Macaroni salad– a potluck favorite.
- Pasta salad– with the best dressing.
- Cucumber salad– simple ingredients.
- Greek salad– with a homemade dressing.
- Marinated tomatoes– in a light dressing.
Fresh Tomato Salad Recipe
- 1 lb tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh herbs (basil, cilantro or parsley)
- Slice the tomatoes and onions and add to a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the salad dressing.
- Toss the salad in the dressing and serve.