This Greek Salad Recipe is fresh, healthy, colorful, and has all the Mediterranean flavors! Romaine lettuce tossed with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and olives served with our homemade Greek Salad Dressing, so GOOD!
GREEK SALAD RECIPE-
This light salad is so refreshing and healthy, you’ll love the salad from the first bite. The romaine combined with the tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and olives tossed in the dressing is a perfect blend of flavors and taste.
What is a Greek Salad? A Greek Salad is a popular and traditional salad in Greek cuisine and as you can tell from its name, the salad originates from Greece.
Watch the full detailed video for this Greek Salad Recipe on our YouTube and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our channel.
Though you can adjust the ingredients in the salad to your personal liking, here are the classic Greek Salad Ingredients and we love this version.
- Romaine lettuce– Freshly chopped romaine works best for this salad but you can also use iceberg lettuce.
- Tomatoes– We like to use cherry tomatoes for this salad. You can also just slice up large tomatoes too, any juicy tomatoes that are ripe. Thin or thin slices of the tomatoes will work.
- Onions– Red onion is best but a sweet onion will work just fine!
- Feta cheese– The key to this salad is the crumbled Feta cheese.
- Olives– The traditional Greek salad calls for kalamata olives but black olives may be used.
- Cucumber– You can use any fresh and crispy cucumber you have on hand, we love mini cuces but English cucumbers will work just as well.
- Greek salad dressing– Made homemade dressing.
Homemade Greek Salad Dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, mayo, white vinegar, salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Note: red wine vinegar may be substituted for white vinegar.
HOW TO MAKE GREEK SALAD-
This salad is so easy to make and comes together so fast!
- Prep veggies: Chop or break apart the Romaine lettuce. Slice onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and the olives in half. Add all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Toss salad: Add all of the cut vegetables into the bowl, add the feta and toss to combine.
- Make Greek dressing: Prepare the homemade dressing. Note: It is easiest to just add all of the ingredients into a mason jar and shake and you can pour straight from the jar.
- Combine: Toss the salad and drizzle the dressing, then gently toss again. You are ready to enjoy the salad, you don’t have to wait for the salad to marinade.
If serving the salad as dinner on its own, Crostini will work great as a side.
GREEK SALAD VARIATIONS-
There are several different ways that you can prepare this salad! Whether you are adding extra ingredients or taking some out, you have to try some of these variations!
- Greek Chicken Salad– Add some chicken into this salad to elevate this salad even more! We love to add our Pan-Seared Chicken Breast or Air Fryer Chicken to this salad for a heartier salad.
- Greek Pasta Salad– Toss in some cooked short pasta to this salad for a Greek Pasta Salad. You can use rotini, penne, bow ties, or elbow pasta.
And here are some other ingredients you can try in your traditional salad.
- Bell Peppers
- Banana Peppers
- Green Bell Peppers
- Dried Oregano
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, you may definitely make the salad dressing ahead of time, just DO NOT add the dressing and mix until you are ready to serve the salad.
No, this salad works just as great without romaine. If you will be taking out the lettuce make sure you add more of the vegetables.
Although this salad is BEST when serving fresh, you can store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 day. If you don’t add romaine, it will keep for 2 days.
We do not recommend freezing this salad.
MORE SALAD RECIPES-
Though this salad is unique with its Mediterranean flavors, here are some other salads that are just as delicious as this one is:
- Kani Salad Recipe
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Southern Chicken Salad
- Roasted Eggplant Salad
- Bologna Salad
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
Greek Salad Recipe (with Homemade Dressing)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 red onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup black olives, halved
- 3 mini cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- greek salad dressing
- Prepare the homemade Greek Salad dressing. Shake vigorously to mix.
- In a salad bowl, add the chopped lettuce, onions, olives, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and Feta cheese.
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Toss salad and serve!