This Vegetable Eggplant Salad Recipe is so unique and original, perfect to enjoy all year round. Roasted eggplant with sauteed peppers, carrots, and onions in an oil dressing.
This hearty vegetable eggplant salad recipe is so easy to make and loaded with flavors. The combination of roasted eggplant and sauteed vegetables tossed in the oil brings you a great salad recipe. If you enjoy eggplant, then this salad will become your new favorite way to enjoy eggplant.
HOW TO MAKE EGGPLANT SALAD-
- Prep eggplant– Cut the eggplant into even sized pieces and add to a large bowl. Sprinkle the eggplant with salt and allow it to rest at room temp allowing salt to penetrate the eggplant and release juices.
- Roast eggplant– Roast the eggplant in the oven. Remove from the oven and set aside. Tip: You can also just cook the eggplant on the grill.
- Prepare veggies– Slice the onion, and red pepper into thin strips. Julienne the carrots. Deseed the hungarian peppers and chop. Quarter the tomatoes, then slice thinly.
- Saute vegetables– In a skillet, saute the onion in olive oil. Then, add the carrots and peppers and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add spices– Add in the tomatoes, roasted eggplant, sugar, pepper, herbs, garlic cloves and toss to combine. Saute until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Rest salad– Once salad cools, allow it to sit in the fridge for at least a couple hours or overnight and serve as a side dish.
|Chef’s tip: If you want the salad to have a bit of acidity, whisk 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice with the sugar when adding to the rest of the ingredients.|
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
Yes, you can substitute the Hungarian peppers with jalapenos or red chili pepper. Or, just leave them out completely if you don’t like heat.
Yes, this salad tastes better when it sits for a little, prepare this salad up to 2 days in advance.
This salad is best if kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 4 days if refrigerated.
You can use any herbs you like and add the amount to taste. Cilantro, dill or parsley may be used or any combination of them.
HOW TO SERVE THIS EGGPLANT SALAD-
Serve the eggplant salad as a side dish with your favorite entree. Here are some entree that go great with this salad:
Roasted Eggplant Salad Recipe
- 2 lbs medium eggplants, cut into 2″ pieces
- 3 tsp salt, divided
- 5 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 2 Hungarian peppers
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- herbs to taste
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut eggplant into about 2” pieces. (I just slice the eggplant into three lengthwise. The tip I quarter and the other two into 6 pieces.)
- Sprinkle eggplant pieces with 1 ½ tsp salt, make sure all pieces are coated.
- Allow eggplant to stand at room temp for 30-45 minutes. Drain liquid and pat eggplant pieces dry.
- Return to bowl, coat 2 Tbsp oil and sprinkle with 1 ½ tsp salt, toss. Lay eggplant pieces onto the baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes.
- Slice onions thin, julienne carrots and slice red pepper into thin strips. Deseed Hungarian pepper and chop into small pieces.Quarter the tomatoes, then slice thinly.
- Add 3 Tbsp oil to skillet, once hot, add onion. On med/high heat sauté 2 minutes. Add carrots and sauté 3 minutes. Add all peppers and sauté 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, eggplant, ground pepper, sugar and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Cool salad and refrigerate.