The most amazing recipe for Shrimp Eggplant Recipe in Creamy Sauce. This will become your new favorite eggplant recipe. Breaded parmesan panko eggplant with shrimp in a spicy (Cajun like) creamy sauce, ready in under 30-minutes.
Brio restaurant inspired-
We were recently at a Women’s Retreat (see post HERE). We went out for lunch one day. We ordered different types of appetizers and that when I tried their Spicy Shrimp & Eggplant appetizer, it literally was one of the most amazing dishes I’ve tried in a really long time. I tried recreating it the first day I was back, I was hooked. And two more times that week, ha! Crispy sauteed parmesan rings with shrimp in the most delicious sauce that completes the recipe.
Theirs was a little different. The eggplant rounds were cut into four and deep fried. Though I enjoyed the deep fried crunchy eggplant, I prefer sautéing the eggplant as I did in this recipe. It still has a crunchiness to it but isn’t as deep fried.
creamy cajun sauce-
This spicy creamy sauce is just amazing in itself. You just want to grab some bread, dip it into the sauce and call it a day. #YesThatGood
The taste of the sauce kind of reminds me of a chipotle sauce combined with Cajun seasoning but creamy. It is a bit on the “spicier” side. However, if you still want to make this recipe but don’t really like your food spicy, add less cayenne seasoning, taste the sauce and the spicier to your liking.
Tips how to make shrimp eggplant recipe-
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. I left the tails on in this recipe mostly for photography purposes. Shrimp is better to photograph with the tail. However, I’m not a fan of trying to remove the tail mid-meal, lol. So, it’s much easier if you remove tails of the shrimp before cooking.
- This is such a quick dinner and it’s really easy to prepare. Have your side of mashed potatoes or rice started before you make eggplant with shrimp. This dish is best if enjoyed immediately so you want everything prepped.
Eggplant is that one food you can enjoy all year round, I’d say. Some foods kind of have a summer feel to it, like grilled chicken for example. Other foods, like a big bowl of Zuppa Toscana is associated with colder weather and comfort food. This eggplant recipe is one that will rock your world all year round, ha! (Insert HAPPY dance emoji.)
What to serve with eggplant recipe-
We enjoyed this dish with mashed potatoes most. We used the leftover sauce as a gravy over the potatoes. If you aren’t a fan of mashed potatoes, you can use rice or pasta instead.
Try these other Eggplant Recipes-
- Vegetable Eggplant Salad– another unique way to use eggplant.
- Chunky Eggplant Spread– ikra in Russian.
- Russian Chicken Vegetable Salad– the perfect balance of flavors.
Oh, I seriously cannot wait for you to try this fried eggplant recipe with sauteed shrimp in a creamy Cajun sauce. You are in for a treat!!! 🙂
Shrimp Eggplant Recipe in Creamy Sauce
- 1/2 medium eggplant
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- canola oil
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- dash salt & pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp whole milk
- Combine ingredients for bowl 1. Combine ingredients for bowl 2. Combine ingredients for bowl 3.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2” rounds.
- Take eggplant slices (one at a time), generously coat into flour, bowl 1. Then dredge into egg mixture, bowl 2. Then coat in breading mixture, bowl 3.
- Add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of a large skillet. Once oil is hot, add eggplant, cook on med/high heat until crispy. Repeat on the other side (add more oil if needed when flipping the eggplant). Cook until center of eggplant is soft (2-3 min on each side). Transfer fried eggplant to a plate lined with paper towel.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 Tbsp butter, add shrimp and cook until pink on both sides (4 to 5 minutes). Lightly salt and pepper. Remove shrimp from skillet (you can add them to the eggplant).
- In the same skillet, add 4 Tbsp butter. Once butter melts, add heavy whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, paprika, garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined, once the sauce comes to a soft boil, turn heat down to simmer.
- Add the eggplant and shrimp to skillet with the sauce. Cook 2-3 minutes on low/med heat until everything is heated. Coat shrimp and eggplant with sauce.
- Serve immediately.