An easy homemade Russian Bread Recipe that’s so quick to make. Crispy and crunchy twisted bread on the outside and soft and airy on the inside. The bread is twisted and looks so gorgeous when served.
Enjoy the homemade bread with our classic Russian Borscht or the traditional Cabbage Rolls.
This Russian bread recipe is going to become a regular in your home. Not only is it extremely easy to make, it’s so so good. The crispy and crunchy crust gives it a nice texture yet so soft and light on the inside.
This bread is so versatile. It can be used with jam and butter or as bread for a sandwich or toasted for canapes.
how to make Russian bread-
Prepare to be impressed by how simple it is to make a homemade bread loaf.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour set aside.
Step 2 (sift flour):
Sift flour and salt into a large bowl, create a well in the center. TIP: Sifting flour ensures that there are no lumps. The flour becomes easier to work with and performs better in recipes (especially when baking).
Step 3 (proofing):
Combine the warm water and milk. Pour into the center of the well, add in the oil. Sprinkle the yeast over the water then the sugar over the yeast. Cover with a towel and allow the yeast to foam and activate.
Step 4 (kneading):
Combine everything together. The dough should be slightly sticky but will not stick to hands. Knead for about 4 minutes until the dough is elastic and flour is well incorporated.
Step 5 (rising):
Place dough into a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise 2 hours. The dough will almost triple in size.
Step 6 (shaping):
Take the dough and shape it into a long loaf then twist the loaf. Dust loaf with flour, cover with a towel and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
Step 7 (baking):
Add two cups of water into a small baking dish and place it on the bottom rack of the oven. This will give the bread its crunchiness. Bake bread 20-25 minutes or until bread is golden and center or loaf feels hard when touched. TIP: You can just use a 8″ or 9″ pan for the water, any pan will work.
Though I know the temptation is REAL! Allow the loaf to cool completely before cutting. 🙂
I hope this easy recipe inspires you to bake, like now, ha. Here are a few of our other favorite recipes you should totally give a try if you enjoy baking homemade bread.
- Everything Bagel Recipe– The best bagel recipe.
- Easy Braided White Bread– A simple braided white bread.
- Best Bread Machine Bread– An amazing bread recipe using a bread maker.
- Homemade Bread– Mom’s amazing secret recipe.
This bread takes like something between an artisan bread loaf and a classic Italian bread. You’ll be totally hooked! 🙂
As always, we love your feedback. Don’t forget to leave us a comment below if you try the recipe.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, measured then sifted
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup water, warm
- 1/4 cup whole milk, warm
- 2 tsp oil (Canola or Olive oil)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper (if you have a good quality, non-stick baking sheet this may not be necessary.)
- Sift flour and salt add to a large bowl, create a well in the center of the flour.
- Pour in the warm milk and water and stir to combine. Add oil and give the water and give a quick mix. Sprinkle the yeast over the water then sugar over the yeast, lightly stir and cover with a towel, allow it to sit about 5 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Give the water a quick stir and mix the flour in. Transfer dough onto the countertop and knead about 4 minutes (just until dough is smooth). The dough should be slightly sticky but will not stick to hands.
- Shape dough and place back into the bowl. Cover with a towel. Let rise two hours.
- Take the dough and shape it into a long loaf (French bread-like). Twist the loaf (this will help it rise round and not a flat loaf).
- Dust loaf with flour, cover the dough with a towel, rise for another 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water to a baking dish and place it on the bottom rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Bake bread for 20-25 minutes, until crust is crispy and golden.
- Let the loaf cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!