Twisted Sweet Bread Recipe. Soft sweet twisted bread filled with raspberry jam and a cream cheese filling. The combination of soft dough with jam and cream cheese is heavenly.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
twisted sweet bread recipe-
This homemade dough is going to become your favorite dough for sweet bread, buns or rolls. The dough is so easy and quick to prepare and it comes out perfect every time. The jam and cream cheese filling adds so much flavor to the sweet bread.
Enjoy the twisted bread while it’s still warm with a cup of cold milk.
how to make dough for twisted bread-
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, milk oil and butter, heat until warm. TIP: If the milk mixture gets too hot, allow it to cool down before adding the eggs and yeast.
- Whisk in eggs and yeast. Allow yeast to activate, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add sifted flour and mix until well combined. The dough will feel soft, pliable and slightly sticky. TIP: All flour is different, add a few tablespoons of flour at a time if the dough is really sticky.
- Cover and set aside to rise until doubled in size.
how to make twisted sweet bread-
- Prepare cream cheese filling.
- NOTE: You want to roll out the dough in parchment paper so you don’t have to transfer the bread once it’s shaped.
- Generously cover the working surface with flour. Add the dough. Add more flour to the top of the dough. TIP: Dough will be really soft, for best results, keep working area coated with flour so the dough doesn’t stick to the countertop or rolling pin.
- Roll the out dough.
- Add cream cheese and jam. TIP: You can add more jam than the indicated amount.
- Roll the dough tightly in a log, transfer the log onto the baking sheet with the parchment paper.
- With kitchen shears, cut the dough on either side of the log and twist dough. TIP: When cutting, cut between dough between slashes on the opposite side (see picture).
- Let bread rise, brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake and ENJOY!
TIP: When making slashes with the scissors, be sure to cut to the center of the bread or else the dough inside of the bread may not bake through in the center with the heavy filling. You don’t want uncooked bread, not very pleasant! 😉
NOTE: Kitchen shears are amazing and make cooking so much easier. If you don’t have a pair, I’d highly recommend you get a pair. THESE are the shears we have but you can purchase a less expensive pair. We use them on a regular basis in the kitchen.
what kind of jam can I use?
We used raspberry jam but you can use your favorite jam in this recipe. Apricot is another favorite of ours. However, strawberry, blackberry, blueberry or peach also are a great combination with the cream cheese.
how to store braided bread?
Keep bread covered and at room temperature up to 2 days. TIP: Reheat in the microwave or toaster oven before serving if warm bread is desired.
I hope you loved the recipe for this Twisted Sweet Bread filled with raspberry jam and cream cheese.
Leave us feedback in the comments below if you give the recipe a try, we do appreciate it. 🙂
Twisted Sweet Bread Recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup jam
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar, milk, butter and oil. Once warm, remove from heat and whisk in beaten eggs.
- Add yeast and lightly mix. Cover bowl and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes until yeast activates.
- Add in sifted flour and mix until flour is well incorporated. Cover and set aside to rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar.
- NOTE: Be sure to roll out and shape the dough on parchment paper for easier transferring. Generously dust parchment paper with flour, add the dough. Add more flour to the top of the dough.
- Gently roll out the dough into a rectangle about 16x12” in size, adding more flour as needed so the dough doesn't stick to the rolling pin. The dough will be slightly sticky.
- Generously add the jam and cream cheese in rows, see picture.
- Gently roll up the dough to form a log and place seam underneath.
- Pinch edges of log and tuck under so the filling doesn't ooze out.
- With kitchen shears, cut bread on both sides, see the picture. Twist the pieces that are cut.
- Whisk together egg and water, brush tops of bread.
- Allow bread to rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 17-19 minutes, until the top of the bread is golden.