This Poppy Seed and Cream Cheese Roll recipe is a soft yeast bread roll with a cream cheese and poppy seed filling. This easy recipe will become a favorite, without a doubt. Like for reals.
The combination of cream cheese and poppy seed is out of this world delicious and goes so well with this homemade soft dough recipe.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe for later!
One of the most popular dessert recipes on my blog is the Cherry Cheesecake Buns. That has to be the most sent in recipe people e-mail me with that don’t have social media but want to share their pics. I absolutely love opening each e-mail and am so blessed you tried our recipe and it was a success in your kitchen. Just makes me grin really big and feel like we are a part of your kitchen as well! I love how you took that recipe and added subbed the cherries with blueberry pie filling, fresh raspberries and even strawberries. You are all so creative! Thank you.
We were having guests over not too long ago. We had cherry cheesecake buns earlier that week so I wanted something different but with that particular easy dough. I thought what a phenomenal combination poppy seed and cream would be as a roll (roulade or rylet in Russian). I baked it and was beyond happy with the results. The roll is just heavenly and melts in your mouth it’s so good.
Hope you enjoy this SHORT video of the recipe. Follow us on FACEBOOK and don’t forget to share our recipes. We so appreciate it! 🙂 🙂
TIPS HOW TO MAKE POPPY SEED AND CREAM CHEESE ROLL:
- This recipe makes 4 small rolls, however, you can make 3 medium rolls. Your personal preference.
- We really, really like cream cheese so I do a portion and a half of the cream cheese filling.
- Be sure to have the edges of the roll tucked under the roll so it doesn’t come undone when baking.
- The brand of flour you use will impact the amount of flour needed. You want the dough to be soft to touch BUT not sticking to your hands.
- Start out with 4 cups of flour, add additional flour as needed.
CAN I FREEZE THE POPPY SEED CREAM CHEESE ROLL?
- This is the perfect dessert recipe to freeze for later. Once the roll completely cools, place it in a freezer Ziploc bag and freeze.
- Thaw the poppy seed and cream cheese roll and enjoy. I like it warm so I even place it in my oven for a few minutes and it feels like you just baked it. Winner!!
HOW TO MAKE A ROLL:
- You can either lightly roll the roulade (as the final picture of the images shows in the video) or you can fold it over, as described. If you will just lightly roll into a roulade, then spread the poppy seed over all of the dough and then the cream cheese over the poppy seed filling and lightly roll up.
- If folding in three; fold part (a) over part (b), then fold part (c) over part (a).
- Or you can add cream cheese to half of the roll and poppy seed filling to the other hand and fold it over (as shown in the video).
Once the roulade completely cools, dust with flour. Enjoy with some cold milk, hot tear or a cup of hot coffee!
If you love the recipe for this Poppy Seed and Cream Cheese Roll, don’t forget to share your creation with us on Social Media by tagging us using #ValentinasCorner.
Great yeast bread roll with poppy seed and cream cheese filling.
- 4 – 4 1/3 cups flour*
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 8oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 12.5 oz can poppy seed
- Egg wash-
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- Poppyseed optional
- Powdered sugar optional
Preheat oven at Step to 365°F at step 9.
Cover two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper, lightly spray with baking spray. Set aside.
Prepare dough: Place flour in a large bowl. In middle of the bowl, create opening pushing flour to the sides. Whisk the 2 eggs and pour into the center of the flour. In a small saucepan, add butter, 1/2 cup sugar and milk, heat until very warm but not hot (no warmer than 100 degrees). Pour milk mixture into the beaten egg. Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over yeast and let sit 5 minutes, allowing yeast to activate.
Slowly, mix in the flour into the milk mixture. Continue mixing until flour it is fully incorporated and isn't sticking to sides of the bowl. (Dough can be mixed by hand or with a dough hook in a mixer.)
Cover bowl with plastic wrap then a towel and allow to rise at room temp for 1 1/2 hours.
Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar; set aside.
Lightly dust surface with flour. Transfer dough onto surface and divide into four parts.
Gently roll out the dough into a rectangle about 8/9” x 12/13” in size. In the middle of the dough add poppy seed filling and on either side spread cream cheese. Fold over one side of the roll, then fold the other side atop the first. Pinch edges together to close seams so nothing oozes out. (You can also add poppy seed to the left or right side of the roll. Then, first, fold the poppy seed side over, then cream cheese side so the poppy seed is in the middle. Though it really doesn’t matter.)
Whisk egg and water for egg wash and brush tops of rolls. Sprinkle poppy seed atop rolls. Set aside to rise 30 minutes.
Bake 25-30 minutes until rolls are golden in color.
Once baked, transfer to cooling rack. Once cooled, dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!