This Poppy Seed Roll with Cream Cheese recipe. Soft yeast bread roll with sweet cream cheese and poppy seed filling. This easy recipe will become a favorite, without a doubt.
If you like poppy seed bread desserts, also try our Poppy Seed Babka recipe!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
poppy seed roll-
Growing up, poppy seed rolls like this or as buns were a must. We had them on a regular basis. In this recipe, the classic roulade is elevated to a whole new level with the addition of the cream cheese filling. It adds so much juiciness to the roll and is out of this world delicious.
There’s just something about the combination of cream cheese with poppy seed filling in a soft yeast bread that can’t be beaten.
tips on how to make poppy seed roll-
- This recipe makes 4 small rolls, however, you can make 3 medium rolls. Your personal preference.
- We really, really like cream cheese so I do a portion and a half of the cream cheese filling.
- Be sure to have the sealed edges of the roll tucked under the roll doesn’t come undone when baking.
- The brand of flour you use will impact the amount of flour needed. You want the dough to be soft to touch BUT not sticking to your hands.
- Start out with 4 cups of flour, add additional flour as needed.
can I freeze the poppy seed roll with cream cheese?-
- This is the perfect dessert recipe to freeze for later. Once the roll completely cools, place it in a freezer bag and freeze.
- Thaw the poppy seed and cream cheese roll and enjoy. I like it warm so I even place it in my oven for a few minutes and it feels like you just baked it.
how to make poppy seed roll-
- You can either lightly roll the roulade (as the final picture of the images shows in the video) or you can fold it over, as described. If you will just lightly roll into a roulade, then spread the poppy seed over all of the dough and then the cream cheese over the poppy seed filling and lightly roll up.
- If folding in three; fold part (a) over part (b), then fold part (c) over part (a).
- Or you can add cream cheese to half of the roll and poppy seed filling to the other hand and fold it over (as shown in the video).
Once the poppy seed roulade completely cools, dust with flour. Enjoy with some cold milk, hot tear or a cup of hot coffee!
If you like poppy seed, try these other desserts:
- Poppy Seed Bars– Simple poppy seed bars recipe!
- Poppy Seed Cake– Delicious poppy seed cake with a dulce de leche cream.
- Poppy Seed Roulade– A great roulade recipe with poppy seed and sweet cream.
Poppy Seed Roll with Cream Cheese
Poppy Seed Roll Dough-
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 12.5 oz poppy seed filling
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- poppy seed, optional
- powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven at Step to 365°F at step 9.
- Cover two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper, lightly spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the dough: Place flour in a large bowl. In the middle of the bowl, create a well. Whisk the 2 eggs and pour into the center of the flour.
- In a small saucepan, add butter, 1/2 cup sugar and milk, heat until very warm but not hot (no warmer than 100 degrees). Pour milk mixture into the beaten egg. Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over yeast, whisk together and allow to activate.
- Slowly, mix in the flour into the milk mixture. Continue mixing until flour it is fully incorporated and isn't sticking to sides of the bowl. (Dough can be mixed by hand or with a dough hook in a mixer.)
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap then a towel and allow to rise at room temp for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar; set aside.
- Lightly dust surface with flour. Transfer dough onto surface and divide into four parts.
- Gently roll out the dough into a rectangle about 8/9” x 12/13” in size. In the middle of the dough add poppy seed filling and on either side spread cream cheese. Fold over one side of the roll, then fold the other side atop the first. Pinch edges together to close seams so nothing oozes out.Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Whisk egg and water for egg wash and brush tops of rolls. Sprinkle poppy seed atop rolls. Set aside to rise 30 minutes.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until rolls are golden in color.
- Once baked, transfer to cooling rack. Once cooled, dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!