Amazing recipe for a homemade Poppy Seed Roulade. A soft sponge cake roll with poppy seed and a rich dulce de leche cream topped with toasted coconut and chocolate shavings. An easy Russian dessert roll that is prepared quickly and tastes wonderful.
This roulade is great to prepare for parties or get together. Your guests will be complimenting your baking skills. 😉
This poppy seed roulade recipe is everything you could ask for in a cake. The batter for the cake roll is so soft and airy, melts in your mouth with a perfect hint poppy seed. Then, the creamy, buttery dulce de leche gives it a rich taste and the cake is finished off with chocolate shavings and toasted coconuts.
This cake roulade is so appealing once served and makes you want to forget your calorie counts!
How to make a poppy seed roulade-
Prepare the sponge-like poppy seed cake roll.
Side note, resist the urge to eat the cake before it’s assembled. The temptation will be for real!
Bake the roulade and in the meantime, prepare the cream.
Beat together the dulce de leche and butter.
You want to savor every bite so scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, take your time enjoying every lick of the cream. #NoJudgementZone
Once the cake is cooled, generously coat the roulade with the cream (or whatever is left of it;) ).
How to decorate a poppy seed cake roulade-
Decorate the roulade to your liking. I added some chocolate shavings using a vegetable peeler (handy little tool). Then added some toasted coconut flakes and the remaining dulce de leche.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Other roulades to try:
- Coconut Almond Cake Roll Recipe– Cake roll with chocolate, almonds, and toasted coconuts.
- Cake Roulade with Raspberries– Roulade with chocolate and raspberries!
- Coffee Roulade– Simple chocolate roulade with a coffee twist
Poppy Seed Roulade
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 14 oz dulce de leche (minus 3 Tbsp*)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup sweetened coconut, toasted
- chocolate shavings
- 3 Tbsp unused dulce de leche*
How to make Poppy Seed Roulade-
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites. In a large bowl, add the egg whites. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form, 2-3 minutes. Slowly add sugar, beat until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, with a mixer beat egg yolks and sour cream for 1 minute. Pour into egg whites bowl, beat on medium speed until egg yolks are incorporated.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and poppy seed. Add to the egg mixture. Mix for a few seconds on low speed until flour is combined. Turn off mixer and with a spatula, gently mix to make sure the flour is well incorporated. Don't overbeat or else the mixture will flatten. Pour mixture into baking sheet, spread evenly.
- Bake 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean if inserted in the center of the cake. Slightly cool.
- Run a knife along edges of cake to loosen from sheet. Remove cake roulade from baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel and roll roulade up while it’s still warm but not hot. Set aside to cool completely.
- Beat butter on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Reserve 3 Tbsp of the dulce de leche for the topping, add the remaining dulce de leche to butter. Beat on medium speed until combined. Add powdered sugar, lightly beat again. Refrigerate cream until ready to use.
- Unroll cake roulade. Generously spread cream, about 2/3 of the cream. Re-roll the cake. Cover top and sides of roulade with remaining cream.
- Add toasted coconut to top of roulade and chocolate shavings. Add the 3 Tbsp remaining dulce de leche to the corner of a plastic bag, snip corner and drizzle over roulade.