This easy method for How to Make Dulce De Leche will become your go-to method! With just one ingredient you can have yourself creamy, thick, and smooth caramelized condensed milk ready in no time.
WHAT IS DULCE DE LECHE?
The simple definition is caramelized sweetened milk. We use sweetened condensed milk and cook it using your favorite cooking method.
We love making the dulce de using the instant pot method most, it turns out thick, creamy and so delicious.
|DULCE DE LECHE VS CARAMEL? Although dulce de leche has almost the same texture as caramel, the biggest difference is the ingredients. The base and main ingredients in dulce de leche is condensed milk (milk), and in caramel the base is sugar.|
WHAT YOU NEED-
For this recipe all you need is just one ingredient and the instant pot will do all the work!
- CONDENSED MILK– This recipe calls for 2 cans of 14 oz sweetened condensed milk. You can use any brand, we like to use Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk most.
- MASON JARS– You can use 16 oz mason jars with lids for this recipe.
- INSTANT POT– We use an instant pot method and we have THIS instant pot.
HOW TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE-
INSTANT POT METHOD-
All you need is 5 minutes of prep time and the instant pot does the rest of the work!
- PREP– Wash and clean the mason jars, lids and bands and then pat dry. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the mason jars and secure with lids.
- ADD TO POT- Add the jars on the rack into the instant pot. Pour water into the pressure cooker to cover the jars.
- COOK– Cook the condensed milk for about 30 minutes on manual high pressure with a quick release of pressure. Once the water has cooled, remove the jars with tongs or a canning jar lifter.
- COOL– Allow to completely cool before opening the lids.
This oven method was the method I used most until we purchased an instant pot.
- PREP– Wash and clean the mason jars, lids and bands and completely pat dry. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the mason jars and secure with lids.
- ADD TO PAN– Add the jars into a roasting pan and cover the pan with water, up to the rim of the jars.
- COOK– Cook the condensed milk at 375°F for about 3 hours. Remove the jars with tongs or a canning jar lifter and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- PREP– Wash and clean the mason jars, lids and bands and pat dry. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the mason jars and secure with lids.
- ADD TO POT- Add the jars into a Dutch oven and cover the pot with water up to the rim of the jars. (Don’t completely cover the jars with water.)
- COOK– Bring the water to a boil, then turn down heat to a soft boil and cook for 3 hours. Remove the jars with tongs or a canning jar lifter and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
We do not prefer freezing dulce de leche.
You can store it in the refrigerator in the jars 2-3 weeks.
If you prefer creamier and runnier dulce de leche, you want to cook it for less, about 15 minutes.
If you like your dulce le leche on the thicker side, you want to cook for longer, about 40 minutes.
No! Do not use evaporated milk for this recipe. They seem very similar but they are completely different things.
Your dulce de leche may seem lumpy at first, but the lumps should disappear after you start to mix the dulce de leche.
We do not recommend cooking the dulce de leche in the cans as the aluminum cans release toxins as it is heated.
HOW DO I USE?
There are so many different ways to use this recipe! Whether as a side, a topping or as an ingredients in baking, here are some of our favorite ways to serve:
- AS A SPREAD– Use as a spread on wafers, cookies, or graham crackers for a light dessert or snack.
- TOPPING– Top your ice cream or drizzle over crepes or homemade pancakes.
- IN BAKING– This is GREAT to use when baking, we love using them in our poppy seed roulade or our chocolate cake.
- DIP– Add as a dip when making a smores board or fruit platter!
- FLAVORING– Stir some into your coffee of flavor!
- FILLING– As a filling on our Mini Boccone Dolce or in our Pastry Triangles!
How to Make Dulce De Leche
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk (14 oz each)
- Prepare the mason jars by clean the jars, lids, and bands with warm water and soap.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the two mason jars. Tightly secure the jars with the lids.
- Add the jars on the rack of the instant pot. Fill the inner pot with water covering the jars up to the bands.
- Close lid on the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes with a quick release of pressure. Allow the water to cool and remove jars.
- Allow the dulce de leche to cool before using it.
NOTE: Recipe developed by Valentina’s Corner and first published on Natasha’s Kitchen.