This classic Vanilla Creme Brulee Recipe is everything you can ask for in a dessert! Creamy, rich, and silky custard dessert with a caramelized crispy sugar layer. With our tips and detailed instructions, you don’t have to feel intimidated to try making this dessert.
Crème Brûlée RECIPE-
You are going to LOVE this custard dessert recipe! A combination of creamy custard and a crunchy caramelized sugar topping, the ultimate dessert.
What is Creme Brulee? Creme Brulee, is also known as burned cream. The dessert has a rich custard base made with egg yolks, sugar, heavy whipping cream, and sugar then topped with a layer of hardened caramelized sugar.
All you need for this creme brulee recipe is 5 staple kitchen ingredients!
- Heavy Whipping Cream– For this dessert you want to make sure to use a high quality heavy whipping cream.
- Egg Yolks– The egg yolks is what gives you that smooth and silky custard.
- Sugar– You’ll need granulated sugar for the base and the top.
- Vanilla– We use vanilla extract for flavor, but you can also use vanilla bean.
Add your favorite berries to serve. Raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, and even blueberries all work great here. Add fresh mint for aesthetics.
HOW TO MAKE CREME BRULEE-
You are not going to believe how easy it is to make this creme brulee recipe, even though it seems so complex.
Make Base Custard-
- Preheat oven– Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Beat egg + sugar– Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
- Heat cream– Add the heavy whipping cream into the saucepan. Cook over medium/low heat to bring the milk to a low simmer. Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla extract.
- Add to eggs– Slowly pour the hot heavy whipping cream into the egg mixture while whisking as you pour, you have to temper the eggs or they will scramble. You want ot continue until all the heavy cream is combined with the egg yolks.
- Fill Ramekins– Pour the cream mixture into ramekins, distribute among all the ramekins and then add to a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan.
Bake and Serve-
- Water Bath– Fill the baking pan with boiling hot water around the sides of the ramekins, until half of the ramekins are covered in the water.
- Bake– Slowly add the baking dish into the oven, avoiding spilling the water into the custard. After that you want bake at 325°F for about 30-35 minutes, or until the custard is set.
- Cool– Once the creme brulee is done, remove from the oven and then allow to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Caramelize– Finally, sprinkle the creme brulee with a sugar crust and torch until caramelized. After that top with fresh berries and mint and serve.
The secret to creamiest custard! You want to make sure you don’t over or underbake the creme brulee. The creme brulee should be set but still slightly jiggles in the center to get that perfect custard-like cream.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
This recipe will make 6 (4 oz) ramekins.
You want to make sure you use a kitchen torch to properly torch the creme brulee. We like THIS one.
Yes! The water bath is important as it helps achieve the silky and creamy texture to this dessert and ensured it’s baked evenly
Yes! You can make this creme brulee up to 3 days ahead of time. Just top with sugar and caramelize when ready to serve and enjoy.
You can also broil the sugar if you do not have a torch.
We recommend straining the brulee to make sure the mixture doesn’t have any lumps.
Yes! This dessert is completely gluten-free!
Store the left-overs in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
OTHER DELICIOUS DESSERTS-
Crème Brulee Recipe
Creme Brulee Topping-
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- raspberries for decor
- mint for decor
Make Base Custard-
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the heavy whipping cream into the saucepan. Cook over medium/low heat to bring the milk to a low simmer. Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour the hot heavy whipping cream into the egg yolk mixture while whisking as you pour, you have to temper the eggs or they will scramble. Continue until all the heavy cream is combined with the egg yolks.
Bake and Serve-
- Fill the baking pan with boiling water around the ramekins, until half of the ramekins are covered in the water.
- Slowly add the baking pan into the oven, avoiding spilling the water into the custard. Bake at 325°F for about 30-35 minutes, or until the custard is set.
- Once the creme brulee is done remove from the oven and allow to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Top the cooled creme brulee sugar and torch until caramelized. Top with fresh berries and mint and serve.