Homemade Chocolate Chip Scones that melt in your mouth with every bite! The buttery and crumbly scones loaded with chocolate chips make for a great dessert.
Scones are such a delicious and simple dessert to make for any occasion, we just love baking scones. Whether the scones are made with fresh blueberries, seasonal cranberries, or these mini chocolate chips, homemade scones are so good.
Buttery, flakey and crispy scones packed with mini chocolate chip morsels, so easy to make.
HOW TO MAKE chocolate chip SCONES-
The secret to the perfect scones is the mixing process, carefully read the instructions and you’ll have perfect scones.
- BUTTER: Cube or butter and place in freezer. TIP: Cold butter is VERY important to achieve the perfect scones.
- WET INGREDIENTS: In a bowl, add eggs, sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream and whisk until combined.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: Using a sieve, sift together the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add in the frozen butter and mix with a pastry cutter until the mixture is coarse and crumby. Don’t overmix.
- COMBINE: Create a well in the center of the mixture and add wet ingredients. Mix until dry and crumbly.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Add the chocolate chip morsels and fold into the scones batter.
- SHAPE: Form the batter into an 8-inch disk. Equally divide the batter into 8 even-sized scones, triangle-like. Add the scones onto a lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash and top with coarse sugar.
- BAKE: Bake scones until golden and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions-
For these scones, we used mini chocolate chip morsels but you can use regular chocolate chips, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate chips!
If you like your scones on the sweeter side, drizzle sugar glaze on top of the scones when cooled.
–SUGAR GLAZE– Whisk together 1/3 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tsp milk until a thick yet creamy glaze forms. Drizzle over cooled scones and ENJOY!
You can freeze the scones uncooked or once baked, you will love both methods!
–FREEZE UNBAKED SCONES: Freeze the scones on a plate until the scones harded and then transfer them into freezer bags. When ready to enjoy, bake frozen scones according to instructions just add a couple more minutes to bake time. You can also thaw the scones and then bake.
–FREEZE BAKED SCONES: After the scones are baked, add to a freezer bag and freeze. Thaw the scones and warm in a toaster oven or microwave until warm.
These scones are GREAT to make ahead of time! You can prepare the desserts up to one day in advance and store them in the fridge until ready to bake. Then just bake per instructions.
OTHER DESSERT RECIPES-
- Oreo Balls– no-bake dessert
- Blueberry Muffins– with a crumble
- Banana Cake– so easy
- Snowball Cookies– with walnuts Rugelachs- classic Russian cookie
Chocolate Chip Scones
- Cube 7 Tbsp butter and freeze until needed. Set aside 1 Tbsp butter for the topping.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients into, mix just until combined.
- Add the chocoloate chips and carefully fold into the batter.
- Shape the batter into an 8-inch dish and divide into 8 even sized scones. Transfer the scones onto the baking sheet.
- Melt the reserved 1 Tbsp butter and with a pastry brush, brush the scones and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 16-18, or until the tops are golden.