Classic Snowball Cookies are the best kind of cookie for Christmas or New Years. Buttery and nutty soft cookies coated in powdered sugar, you’ll love this recipe.
There’s just something about cookies you make around the holidays, like these snowball cookies – sp special. We also love to make our Sweet Crunch Bites, and the Truffle Cookies, and classic Russian Rugelachs.
Some of the other popular names for the cookies are Russian Tea Cake, Snowdrops and Mexican Teacakes – I think snowball cookies fit the description best!
The classic cookies contain butter, nuts (you can use pecans or walnuts), sugar and flour. I like ours with an unexpected twist and that’s cream cheese. The cream cheese adds a melt-in-your-mouth texture to the cookies, truly takes the cookie over the top!
how to make snowball cookies-
- In a bowl, cream together the butter with cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Combine the flour and chopped walnuts and add to the creamed mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Shape the dough into 24 small uniform ball-shaped cookies.
- Bake cookies until tops start to turn golden in color (the bottom of cookie will be more golden).
- Cool slightly and completely coat with powdered sugar. TIP: The cookie should still be warm but not hot.
snowball cookie fillings-
Don’t just limit yourself to the walnut or pecan filling. This batter is amazing and can be used for different fillings. Here are some creative options-
- Hershey’s kisses candy
- Apricot, raisins, craisins or your favorite dried fruit
- Sprinkles for a fun cookie
- Reese’s mini candy, halved
can I freeze snowball cookies?
Yes, these cookies may be frozen up to 3 weeks in an airtight container. Perfect if you want to start baking early for the Holidays.
how long will snowball cookies stay fresh?
These cookies will stay fresh up to one week in an airtight container.
Enjoy the traditional cookie recipe, I hope you love the soft and chewy cookie just as much as we do!
try these other cookie recipes:
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies– like chocolate chips but easier.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies– traditional recipe.
- Peanut Butter Cookies– for the peanut butter lovers.
- Magic Cookie Bars– loaded with so much flavor.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Combine together flour and chopped walnuts. Add to the cream mixture and mix until well combined.
- Shape the dough into 24 small ball-shaped cookies.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes, or until cookies begin to become golden.
- Slightly cool cookies then roll them in powdered sugar until completely coated.